Doing this backwards

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hen Pecked, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Hen Pecked

Hen Pecked New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    Kennewick, WA
    So we bought the chicks before I designed and built the coop (we have 5 outta the 3 we are "supposed to have, but they have all made it 3 weeks.) My original plan was to build a small 4x4 with nesting boxes attached on the outside then build an enclosed run to keep critters out.

We have raccons, mean cats, hawks once and awhile.

I use to live on a farm and I had about 80 chickens then, its alot easier to throw up some ugly pallet made coop in the country but I have to keep my yard/garden looking decent.

16sqft isn't going to be enough for 5 chickens, or could i get away with it?

I was going to build a tractor style coop but have no reason to spread poop all over the place, I'll save that for the compost bin.

2. mikecnorthwest

mikecnorthwest Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    My Coop
    Yes that's enough space inside the house for 5 hens. Since you'll have a run for them and/or free range them during the day they'll have plenty of room. I've had as low as 2.5 sq. ft. of inside house space for 5 hens and they did just fine. I have four hens right now with 3 sq. ft. of inside house.

3. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    My ratio's close to yours. So yes, I think the size will be fine. Just watch out for chicken math! It's gotten you already since you have 5 chicks instead of the 3 you expected. It could strike again at any time [​IMG]. And then you might have to build bigger.

4. Hen Pecked

Hen Pecked New Egg

Mar 23, 2012
    Kennewick, WA
    Here are some shots

[​IMG]

I used VCT tiles inside, I also made nesting boxes from 5 gallon buckets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I already have the wire up, just need to finish the door and do a little trim work, I buried the wire about 12'' in the ground to keep the diggers out.

peeps stinkin up my garage...

[​IMG]

5. suzyQlou

suzyQlou Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Dillsburg, PA
    My Coop
    Looking good! Actually, more like great. I think your chicks are going to be very happy here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by