Doll Sculpting, anyone? *BIG PICS*

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by MichiganWoods, Apr 1, 2009.

1. MichiganWoods

MichiganWoods DD (Artistic Digital Diva)

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    I don't do it too often, but last year I got the bug to try my hand at doll sculpting.

This one was my second try at a little fairy doll. She's around 6" tall. I named her Selene. Her hair is actually my own hair, which I saved from a cutting shortly before I created her. -- Human hair is very hard to work with for dolls.

[​IMG]

Then I took a doll sculpting workshop taught by Wendy Froud and her son Toby last A-pril. If you don't know who Wendy is... she sculpted the original Yoda for the Star Wars movies, and she also created the Gelflings for The Dark Crystal, as well as various puppets for Labyrinth. Her son, Toby, was also little baby Toby in the movie Labyrinth.

This was the doll I made while doing the workshop. He stands around 18 1/2" tall. Named him Gelrin, and he is supposed to be a faun prince.

[​IMG]

The difference in the two dolls is that the fairy is not poseable, while the faun is.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Very nice, Cass. My 7 year old DD would love that fairy one!

3. Donnadzitall

Donnadzitall Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Granite Falls WA
    Those are really cool! I'm so impressed. Is it hard to do or mostly time consuming? I'm looking for something to do that relaxes me after daycare...definitely NOT while doing daycare! Anyhoo, those are really neat...I love the fairy/fantasty characters in movies, books or artwork of any form. (My brother and I are sci fi/fantasy addicts)
    [​IMG]

4. gaeamama

gaeamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    WMass.
    Wow, those are teriffic!
    I'm green with envy at your abilities!!!

Great job.

5. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thank you HenMama2, Donnadzitall and gaeamama!

Donnadzitall, it can be difficult. I use Fimo, ProSculpt and Super Sculpey. They each pick up dirt and oil like crazy and can get dirty very fast if you work with it too much, or your work space isn't immaculately clean. Clay that doesn't have to be painted to mask dirt looks more realistic. But, it won't look horrible if you DO have to paint it. I did with my first doll. She's shiny as opposed to more natural looking. The clay will also mush really easy if it gets too warm, so you have to keep it cool. Work for a while, put it in the fridge, work for a while, put it in the fridge etc. The fairy took me about a week and a half to do. The faun took maybe 6 days. But I worked on him many many hours each day, and probably would have taken 2-3 weeks if I only had a few hours each day to work on him. That being said... just because it can be difficult doesn't mean it isn't FUN. It is! I enjoyed reading through a bunch of online tutorials to figure out how to do them.

6. 17roses

17roses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Greene County, TN
    Wow! [​IMG] I make cloth dolls. I have never met anyone with your hobby and talents. It is truely amazing! [​IMG]

7. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thank you 17roses. [​IMG] I love trying new artsy things all the time. You never know what might pop up on the boards. [​IMG]

8. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    I love sculpting. Been creating Art dolls for about 2 years now. Its like therapy.

Very nice fairy and faun.

9. MichiganWoods

Oct 6, 2008
    West Michigan
    Thanks Sock Puppet!

I'd love to see some of your dolls, if you'd like to share any. Feel free to post 'em!

10. Sock Puppet

Sock Puppet Grumpy Hen

Mar 3, 2009
    Mesa, Arizona
    Here's a few of my favorite ones...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Anyway, I love sculpting and I create a variety. Whatever I happen to feel like. Or whatever it happens to turn into [​IMG]

Edited to add website http://www.thewhimsicalgoblin.com/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by