Dollar General told my boss's wife . . .

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Whispering Winds, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

That light bulbs are on their way out, the ones they had on the shelves now were it, so might want to get a few boxes put back. I guess we are going green completely.

2. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Time to stock up then I suppose....

3. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks,.. I forgot about it,. been wanting to stock up!
    heading there now!
    [​IMG]

4. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I don't remember what the "drop dead" date was, but I had heard that regular incandescent light bulbs were going to be history at some point, due to the global warming fanatics' emphasis on CFLs. We'll all be using CFLs and looking for somewhere, anywhere to dispose of them when they finally die. And of course, they're all made in China, so there are duds among them. I'm driving around now with a bag of them in my truck tool box, looking for a place to dispose of them. Ain't life grand? Thank you, Congress.

5. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

We are already stocking up because several of the light switches in our home have dimmers on them... dimmer switches and CFLs are not compatible, in case y'all haven't noticed. I also do not get enough light even from the higher-powered CFLs to be able to see well in my home office/work area because this is an old house, has high ceilings, and those things just don't really put off adequate light for many tasks if you have high ceilings. The light doesn't seem to carry far or something--dunno if that even makes sense. It's like it brightly lights the area within 4' of the bulb... beyond that, you're on your own.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Yup, they will be phased out by 2012.

7. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    I cannot recall where I read this, but I believe Congress may try to reverse that law against selling incandescent light bulbs. I hope so. Those other bulbs give me terrible headaches and actually make me feel sick.

8. stilldeb

stilldeb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    NW Kentucky
    I buy a bunch every time I go to the store. Not only for chickens, but because I have Lupus and CFCs irritate my skin and eyes. I don't mind going green, and I kind of like reusable bags, etc., but don't like to be forced into it. (they are talking about charging 10 cents a piece for plastic bags now across the river from us in Indiana)

deb g
    KY

9. lighthawk

lighthawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    Gobles MI
    Quote:Not all incandesants will be phased out but nonetheless the CFL's contain mercury and if one breaks indoors you need to air out the entire house. I refuse to use them indoors and started stocking up about a year ago. Every time one of my bulbs burns out I buy another 4 pack and put them away. Besides they are not going to sell them any cheaper next week. Got a boatload of 100 watt bulbs just for my cookie tin water heater.

10. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Why is the Government telling me how to be green?I proubly do a much better job then the ones making these laws.where do i dispose of those mercury bulbs at anyway out here in the middle of no where.

Green improvements cost incandescent-light-bulb makers their jobs
    http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_16058707?source=rss

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by