Dolly sat on nest for 68 days and no chicks now she is going Bald!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by the1honeycomb, Aug 14, 2011.

1. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I made her come off the nest when her third set of eggs went bad! her sister was pecking her on the nest and she only had short feathers. Now most of her feathers are gone [​IMG]
    She seems to be acting fine she had little stubs of feathers, should I do anything for her we had an aggressive roo who has since gone to the freezer all the girls had spots of feather loss is this an over active Momma on my part?[​IMG]

no bugs that I can see and she is eating and taking water fine!!

Thanks for your advise. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You need to break her up, give her vitamins and extra protein. Don't let her continue! She can die like that.

3. the1honeycomb

the1honeycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Yadkinville NC-3yrs
    I have her off the nest now and she seems to be doing ok just still loosing her feathers

She was going into mult when she went broody and just hasn't come out of it I guess

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

When they go broody, they go into a molt due to decreased food and water. It's normal, but she needs to recover now, so give her canned salmon (rinse off the salty liquid) or tuna, scrambled eggs, etc.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by