Dolly The Hawk Catcher

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TehLizardKing, Nov 25, 2012.

1. TehLizardKing

TehLizardKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2012
    Lincolnshire
    So here it is.

A couple of days ago, I was in the garden at about 6AM, hiding under a tree and watching the world go by, accompanied by Dolly, Peanut and Gwen, the Cream Crested Legbar sisters. They were sitting next to me, scoffing mealworms out of my hand, when all of the birds suddenly went quiet. I (and the chickens) knew this meant a predator was near, so we shrunk back into the tree and waited to see what was about to happen.

The birds started to call again, and I thought I had missed the action, or whatever the predator was had decided against breakfast. But as me and the girls crawled out of the tree, a large black shape dislodged itself from the tree we were sitting under. The birds screamed alarm calls, but one flock of greenfinches were too slow to notice. The sparrowhawk grabbed one unfortunate bird out of the screeching mess and pinned it to the ground by it's throat. Now, my chickens are usually some of the most cowardly organisms in the history of existence, but something inside Dolly's head snapped. She had seen this hawk kill too many times, and she would not stand for it any longer. Before I could do anything to stop her, she launched herself out from under the tree, flapping and screaming, and taking him by surprise, smashed into the sparrowhawk's face with her feet outstretched. The greenfinch, perfectly unharmed, fluttered off to rejoin it's flock. Dolly had the hawk pinned to the floor and was beating it with her wings. The hawk struggled, completely bemused by the large, fat bird pounding it in the face with her beak. As I and the other two birds watched in utter bewilderment, the hawk got free, covered in welts and bald patches, and hobbled off quickly across the lawn. Dolly was not having it. She streaked off after it, and nearly caught it, pulling out two of it's tail feathers. The sparrowhawk used this opening to launch itself off of the ground, flying low over the field. Eventually, Dolly gave up the chase and strutted proudly back over to us. Sparrowhawk wheeled crazily for a few minutes over the field, and eventually alighted on a dead tree at the side of the forest next door to lick, or rather preen it's wounds.

The sparrowhawk has not been into our garden since. It can not fly fast enough to catch birds due to the missing wing and tail feathers, and now only chases rabbits across the ground. Luckily these birds are very fast runners too, so it will not starve, but I fear after it's next moult it may be back for revenge...

1 person likes this.
  2. chickenneighbor

chickenneighbor Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2010
    Maine
    Extra meal worms for Dolly! You go, girl!

3. kellysmall87

kellysmall87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good Old Dolly! What a super hero! I would be so afraid of that hawk coming back...

4. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Woohoo! Yea, Dolly!!!

5. Eggnog101

Eggnog101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    Go Dolly!!

lol, we used to have a chicken hawk, it kept sitting there in a tree, just watching the pen. One day, we saw a bunch of feathers on the ground (They looked like chicken hawk feathers) and our golden retrievers sitting next to them, smiling. I havn't seen the chicken hawk since, I think one of them swallowed it whole [​IMG] (It's possible, they swallowed our half grown Buff Orpington girl, Buffy)

6. Sk8inChick(en)

Sk8inChick(en) Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    The Show-Me State
    Go, Dolly, go!!!! Wonder Woman... [​IMG] I can just imagine a big ol' chicken pinning down a hawk!!

7. You GO girl!!!! chicken power!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

By the way, your writing is just awesome! sounds like a story. we need more!

8. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Dolly the Amazon Hen!

9. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    You have GOT to go out immediately and buy a GoPro camera that you are instructed to wear at all times when out with your hens. Had you caught that on video, well, you'd have the most amazing video of all times. I would LOVE to see that.

And is your Dolly a Buff Orpington by chance? Cuz she sounds an awful lot like my BO Ginger. Who is all attitude, not afraid of a fight, and fights dirty. She uses her feet.

10. bigbangrooster

bigbangrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

omg [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] all bow down to dolly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by