Domed Growth in Beak Help Pls

mach.25

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 22, 2010
Hi all, as the topic says it looks like a wart in her Beak. I have read the topics on Avian Pox but it does not look like that.
Margaret is an ISA Brown about 1 year old, laying daily, completely free to roam from morning til night on a large property hence not noticing anything until today. I'm not sure how long this may have been there, its very hot here about 30 degrees celcius on average. She does not seem uncomfortable but obviously hates us trying to continually prise open her beak for inspections and photos. I've attached the best photo I can, it looks more like a growth with a hard cover over it more so than a wart but any help would be appreciated.
47566_margaret_chicken_001.jpg

Last edited:
This might help but can't promise. Use a Q tip and Listerine to dab the lesion. Actually another kind of mouthwash with Triclosan is even better. Read the back label. Listerine is nasty and the Crest mouthwash is just as effective but tasts minty and doesn't sting as much plus it doesn't have the camphor.

Dip the Q tip in the mouthwash and dab it on the spot. You can also try to gently rub it to see if maybe it is something that will come out. Maybe it's a scab and you can get to the infection or maybe she has something stuck in her tongue.

Update us!

Hi, its very hot here, 90+ degrees Faranheit for you Americans and the chickens pant like a dog in the heat so its easy to spot. Our chickens are family pets, our little girls carry them around constantly.
I might try the Listerine thing but does anyone else have any ideas, it does not seem to have grown and she does not seem uncomfortable but that does not mean its not dangerous or may not prove to be fatal.
Help pls if you can.

Quote:
No its not on her tongue and no it wont just rub off, we tried to pick at it, it is very solid almost like a bug if you can imagine that. It is inside her beak but outside her tongue.

We have a hen who had yellow bumps on the edge of the inside of her beak. They were on either side of the beak at approximately the same spot as your hen. She didn't seem to care about them. I left them for a while, then just picked them off. I still don't know what they were, but she's still alive now, months later. From the picture, the one on your hen looks a little bigger than those that were on our hen.
I'm sorry I can't give you any solid information. Hope this helps in some way, though!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom