domestic cats the best pest protectors?

animals1981

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
Toronto
My Coop
My Coop
i cant believe how well our big female siamese cross cat protects the aviary its like nothing will ever dare come near the aviary or she will go after it she even killed a weasel yesterday

i have never had a cat work so well as a pest protector even other cats are deathly afraid to go on our proepty cause of her she will try to kill anything that comes near here is a picture of her

http://s255.photobucket.com/albums/...view&current=nillaandlorees009-2.jpg&newest=1

does anyone here have a cat this good at guarding their birds? our dog was not even smart enough to do it rats would jump right over him when he slept but now NOTHINg is around ever its just so shocking how much a single cat can do one time a possem tried to climb on the aviary and our cat actually pulled the possem back down by its tail never seen anything like that in my life

she also killed a gopher snake that tried to get in

If she's not spayed, you could sell her kittens to BYCers for flock protection. I'd love to have a cat that would do that.
big_smile.png

My Maremma Sheepdog is a good deterrent for the 4 legged predators but the flying predators just ignore him. My cat will keep the mice, shrews, and voles out of the feed shed but that's about it.

u will see a lot of cats are even good for fox protection look at this

if u go to youtube and put cat vos fox u will see 100s of videos of domestic cats chasing off foxes

just look at thatr video amazing

I'm not as worried about the fox as I am about ravens. I know my Maremma will take care of the fox. I need something to get rid of the ravens...

Our barncat, Libby, is a fabulous protector. Some nights she even sleeps in the coop (its warm in there) with them, even though she has access to the house (where she mostly naps during the day). We get on average a couple of mice or rat each day, she's amazing. Some of these rats have been close to her size - she's a small calico @ 7 lbs. Yet, she's still a playful girl - when I dump hay for the rabbits to eat, she pops in the pen and plays with the hay faeries.
smile.png

A Predator as a protector...........not good .....matter of time before they kill what they are protecting.........not counting the damage to the wildlife.......

My barn cats have completely eliminated our rodent population - yay kitties. They would like to eat the hens, but they are little cats and I have big hens, so they currently tolerate each other.

I read somewhere that Siamese cats where bred as "guard cats" to protect gems in the temples in Tibet. They worked better then the mastiffs because the dogs could be bribed with food. No way to validate this, but I thought it was cool.

does anyone here have a cat this good at guarding their birds?

She's not really "guarding" anything.
She's hunting., and would have behaved the same even if the chickens weren't there at all

They are totally different behaviors.
Odds are good if you had small chicks, she'd kill them too.

I read somewhere that Siamese cats where bred as "guard cats" to protect gems in the temples in Tibet. They worked better then the mastiffs because the dogs could be bribed with food. No way to validate this, but I thought it was cool.

The rest of the story is that they supposedly stared at the gems too long, and that's how they became cross-eyed

That's a myth. They were CALLED "guard cats" but never really were.

They were mainly there to kill rats and mice, since the Buddhist monks lived in the monastery/temple complex, and stored food there​

Back
Top Bottom