domestic duck and wild mallards socialize?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by egrape, Oct 6, 2013.

1. egrape

egrape New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    Hello all! so i just signed up here and i have to say i know nothing about ducks. NOTHING. but i am a college freshman and my college has one domesticated duck here. it is huge, black and white, and there are also a bunch of mallards that hang out on the pond as well. I am worried about this one duck. he is our schools unofficial mascot, but he doesnt ahve any friends. i always see him swimming around alone and i dont think he assosiates with the wild mallards that live on the pond as well...but i dont know. i could be completely incorrect and i am just overthinking it, but i definitely want more information. I want to broach this topic with someone in charge at my school, but i want to get as much info as i can. his wings are clipped, so i think someone is caring for him but i dont really know. should i try to get him a flock to live with or are the mallards okay? i just think he is sad haha and i want to fix it! let me know if i am being silly haha

2. egrape

egrape New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    sorry haha i did some more research so just a little mroe info: the duck is actually a girl and she is a magpie duck i think

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't think you are being silly.

It would be good to find out if someone cares for her, because a domestic duck often does not last long on a pond.

4. egrape

egrape New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    am i correct to worry about her having friends? do you think she is okay with the wild mallards or should i approach that as well?

5. Speceider

Speceider Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Because she is a domestic form of wild mallards, she will have no problems. They are social creatures, but not so picky about flock-mates.

Clint

6. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    X2. Thank you for being concerned about this duck.
    And [​IMG]

7. egrape

egrape New Egg

Oct 6, 2013
    okay thank you everyone! i will look into who cares for her and such :]

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Thank you ever so much! Please let us know!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by