DOMESTIC DUCK AT A LAke

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by nathand1212, Aug 17, 2013.

1. nathand1212

nathand1212 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    There's a domestic duck near the **** it's white and black with green on top of its head it came up to me when I called it. I stumbled on him when I was walking my own duck. My duck didn't even acr scared of it. What do I do...

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you adopt it? if domestic then someone most likely dumped it there.

3. nathand1212

nathand1212 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    It comes 3 feer from me its scared but not scared of m 2 month old rouen mallard

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Okay bread I am not one to tell folks to feed bread but to save a duck that's been dumped I say bread they love it and you'll make friends pretty easy, do you have anyway to make a pen so that you can catch the duck? I used a dogs Xpen to catch some ducks that got dumped in the river below our home, I set it up close to the water and put the bread all the way to the back of it so they had to walk all the way inside. I had been feeding them for a couple days prior to this so they knew I had food. after they went in to eat I closed the pen up and caught them and used my dogs crate to bring them home. you could also use a big fishing net but they get spooked and you only get one chance. also you could ask some friends to help you then you'd need some kind of fencing like the plastic poultry fencing they sell at lowes and have people make a fenced in area 3 sided. and you herd the duck in slowly then they come in and close the gap. you pick up the duck and take home. I'm sure there are other ways too. If you could find someone with an xpen that you could borrow you could use your Rouen as bait that way the ducks would probably go right inside. I hope you can figure it out, poor thing really doesn't have much of a chance. and [​IMG]

5. nathand1212

nathand1212 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    Ill see if he's there tomorrow and snap a picture.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any updates?

7. nathand1212

nathand1212 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    I didnt see it yesterday:/

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If it could fly it may have flown off or a pred got it or someone else took it home. But you never know if this is a large lake and you go often it may still be there. Keep us updated.

9. nathand1212

nathand1212 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    I saw it today with two mallards. I think the mallards are domestic too. No thia duck is to big to fly it looks like a myscovy mixed with pekin too be honest

10. nathand1212

nathand1212 New Egg

Aug 7, 2013
    I promise q picture tomorrow I totally forgot again-_-

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by