Domestic ducklings hatched in front yard, need help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bluesteel649, Dec 12, 2014.

1. bluesteel649

bluesteel649 New Egg

Dec 12, 2014
    A long while ago, a domestic Muscovy duck nested in my front yard (The council left a small group of domestic ducks in the pond in front of my house) and yesterday, her eggs hatched. I'm worried about the fate of her ducklings, as the environment is incredibly unwelcoming to them.

The local artificial pond which is across the road was not built with ducklings in mind, the walls are very high and I have seen ducklings trapped there as a result of being unable to climb out. In fact, this mother duck's first clutch died as a result of being stranded like this.

I'm seriously considering raising the current myself in order to keep them safe, but i don't know if it would be the right thing to do. It would be great if someone could help me out. thanks in advanced :)

2. andreacroyle

andreacroyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    Florida
    can you take her and her babies in together ?
    if you research how to raise them properly , that would be the best thing in my opinion. however, i am not one to "let nature take it's course" if your planning on releasing the babies they will have to know how to eat for themselves and survive in the wild which mom will do if you can catch her as well. you should also be aware that certain areas dont allow you to release scovies. know the laws in your are so you dont get in trouble if a noisy neighbor decides to report you. I did exactly what you are thinking about and I decided to keep the duckling which is a very nice duck now. I couldnt catch the mom or the other 3 ducklings, (which didnt make it through the week).

3. bluesteel649

bluesteel649 New Egg

Dec 12, 2014
    Thank you for the reply!
    And just for the sake of saying it :p
    The last time this debacle happened, the council said they're going to do nothing and advised us to just take them because they don't care, so long as it's not a wild species, they are not responsible for it. (Which makes me question why they let about 12 large domestic ducks into a habitat intended for wildlife) :p

1 person likes this.
  4. andreacroyle

andreacroyle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    Florida
    Well if you can catch mom and babies and arent worried about getting in trouble AND most importantly, have the knowledge to take care of ducks properly (lots of BYC reading will help you with that) then I say go for it!

5. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Good for you! That is great thAt you want to help. Check the stickies at the beginning of the forum. Loads of great info. Can you herd them to somewhere safe? Garage, etc.? Or maybe find someone near you set up for ducks and ducklings? Good luck. Why can't someone put something in the pond that they can climb on?

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by