domestic ducks in city ponds, are they "free" or hands off?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by onthespot, Jan 24, 2010.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    There is a fake river by my house and some pretty CHERRY looking ducks there, Lots of them, was wondering what the rules are about kidnapping loose/feral ducks in a city body of water feature thingy.

2. Shadowhills Farm

Shadowhills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Crystal River, Fl
    Hmm that's a good question. We have Muscovy ducks around a pond in town....

3. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
  4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:If legal it should still be done quietly some people get very attached to their favorite duck even if they don't own them.

5. Duck_feeder

Duck_feeder Drowning in feathers!

Oct 22, 2009
    Chicago
    Quote:If legal it should still be done quietly some people get very attached to their favorite duck even if they don't own them.

Yes, and some people are convinced certain acts are illegal when they are not (including police officers) and feel the need to stop you. I run into this all the time in photography.

6. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Any chance of searching out the nest and duck-napping the eggs?

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    yeah but they are all running together, pekins, muscovies, rouens, man, I can't wait until my camera cable gets here. I need to post some pics!

8. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I am sure that in alot of states, releasing domestic ducks onto public ponds/ lakes is illegal. Just ask anyone who runs a waterfowl rescue. That's where alot of their ducks, geese, etc. come from. These ducks,etc. are many, many times injured, starving, shot, and way too often killed on these ponds. They become trusting of humans and so many humans are cruel to them. They also have a steady diet of bread, crackers, etc. that is very unhealthy and yet they depend on it and this diet is abundant in the summer and non-existant in the winter months, hence the starving.
    My point is: I would check around and see if anyone cares and take them. Check with animal control or whoever might have some knowledge with this. IMO it would be great to give a good home to a duck that may seem happy but probably isn't.

9. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

I totally wanna grab up this Pekin pair & goose pair from one of our local parks...I KNOW people are attached to the geese, they're the sweetest ones there and people are all the time buys small bags of feed from the feed store to come give them. It's not like theyre suffering or anything but the gander is O L D, I just cant imagine him sleeping out there another winter, ya know?

ETA: a few days ago at the park, we were taking pics and some guys laughed as he told us how one duck swam around with a dart in its head for the longest time...i wanted to hit him.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  10. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by