Domestic geese hanging out with wild ones. Update: RESCUE SUCCESS

Discussion in 'Geese' started by Yay Chicks!, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    We went for a walk around the local wetlands today. Mostly there are Canadian Geese, several varieties of ducks, herons, egrets...and other times of year eagles, trumpeter swans and white pelicans.
    There is one white domestic duck that has been there for at least a couple of years, and a domestic goose (red legs and feet) that hangs out with a few of the Canadian geese.
    Today, when we were there, we were LOUDLY greeted by a rather large flock of domestic geese of a breed I had never seen. I'm not sure what kind they are, but they are definitely new to the wetlands. I'm wondering if people just dump their fully grown geese off in places like this, or if they go wild? (I really know very little about domestic geese, but thought these were quite pretty)

Here's the video I took of them: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujFoxBnyTCQ

edited
    for typo

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I couldn't see the video. But, yes, sometimes people dump their geese in public places and some people "donate" them to parks on purpose. Then, they often breed, usually with other domestic geese.

3. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Okay, I think I fixed it so that the link works now.

I looked it up on google and they appear to be Grey Chinese. Do you suppose they will survive there on their own if they have been dumped?

4. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    Yay Chicks! :

Today, when we were there, we were LOUDLY greeted by a rather large flock of domestic geese of a breed I had never seen. I'm not sure what kind they are, but they are definitely new to the wetlands.

those are brown chinese geese, definitely dumped because they're not good flyers. sad, because they may not survive the winter if there isn't adequate forage and protection from predators. too bad I'm so many states away, they ought to have a proper home and those are my favorite geese. [​IMG]

5. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yeah, those look like brown Chinese. They seem very friendly. They are at a strong disadvantage over the wild geese in that they can't fly and don't have all their instincts intact. Where I live, coyotes get them all, but it often takes a few years. People do feed them, but mostly junk. Is this a park? Have you asked any of the park administrators about them? They seem so friendly that they may have been recently released and perhaps they can be rescued.

ETA: The ducks there are also domestic and in the same quandary.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011
  6. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Quote:It's not a part, per se. It is a wetlands that is overseen by volunteers. I'll see if I can get a hold of anyone there.

They seemed extremely tame, as they rushed us when we arrived. Definitely saw us as bringers of food, even though we do not bring food for the wildlife there. There are plenty of coyote and raccoon in the area. That is sad. They are so beautiful. I'll see what I can do in terms of advocating for them.

7. desertdarlene

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

8. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    Yay Chicks! :

Quote:It's not a part, per se. It is a wetlands that is overseen by volunteers. I'll see if I can get a hold of anyone there.

They seemed extremely tame, as they rushed us when we arrived. Definitely saw us as bringers of food, even though we do not bring food for the wildlife there. There are plenty of coyote and raccoon in the area. That is sad. They are so beautiful. I'll see what I can do in terms of advocating for them.

they're probably hungry. [​IMG]

9. Yay Chicks!

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Well, I just spoke with the contact person for the wetlands. He knows a great deal about the wildlife in the area but not a lot about domestic geese. He is familiar with these geese, however and is open to a rescue, so I'm putting out some feelers.

10. zzGypsy

Aug 8, 2011
    they look like they'd be easy to catch, let me know if you need help on strategy for this. good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by