Domestic geese on a wild turkey / deer property?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by biodegraded, Oct 29, 2015.

1. biodegraded

biodegraded Just Hatched

Oct 28, 2015
    Coast Range, Oregon
    I have a 10 acre bit of land on which deer graze every day, and through which wild turkey flocks frequently pick over on their way to where ever. I am thinking of keeping domestic fowl of some kind, which I have not had since I was a teen, sometime back in the Pleistocene, and this question is about geese in my situation.

My question is how free range-ish domesticated geese in general, and Toulouse in particular, might get along with the visiting wildlife. Oh, which in winter also includes migrating Canada geese. Basically, I'm wondering if the domestics would harass the wildlife or ignore them. Also, if they would go honky-bonkers, like they're want to do so often, if non-predatory wildlife showed up.

Comments and personal experiences welcome.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] Geese would co exist with non predatory wildlife with no problems.

1 person likes this.
  3. HumbleHen207

HumbleHen207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2013
    Maine
    On occasion, canada geese will cross breed with domestics, but even then it is rare. I keep a free range flock of geese in an area very heavily visited by deer and turkeys, and have never had any conflicts. They keep to themselves for the most part, although the turkeys like to eat the grain on occasion...

1 person likes this.
  4. biodegraded

biodegraded Just Hatched

Oct 28, 2015
    Coast Range, Oregon
    Thanks for the welcome and replies. Much obliged.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by