Domestic Pekin having babies at a public pond with 5 large turtles

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bernie131, Jun 16, 2019.

1. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    When Shorty has her babies and they start disappearing like the Mallards babies should I bring her home like I did with crackers. It has been 5yrs she has been nesting and the raccoons and possums got her eggs but this year she has a better spot and has been sitting on them for 3wks, I bring her water and seed every day. So in the next week I am going to be another crazy surrogate mom.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It sounds as if that may be the only way they will survive.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Bring her home an keep her there. Domestic ducks need not have to live like that they can’t fly away when a dog or raccoon or even a human wants to mess with them. They were meant to be in someone’s back yard or at a place where someone’s taking responsibility for their care and protection.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
  5. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Today I heard some dogs chased her off her nest and I found an egg cracked open with a dead baby duckling next to it
    Should I just go get her now before she loses anymore eggs/babies. She is a pekin so it is not illegal right?

6. Miss Lydia

It’s not illegal I am surprised her an her eggs have made it this long

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Understand that if you take her she may stop setting on her eggs. I have never been able to successfully move a setting duck. Do you have an incubator ?

Raenh, WVduckchick and DuckyDonna like this.
  8. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas

Raenh and DuckyDonna like this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Very true about the eggs. But I would rather try than lose her and the eggs. Dog crate as much as the nest as you can. Put her in a quiet place away from any animals and people once you get her home

10. bernie131

bernie131 Songster

Apr 26, 2016
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Thank you Ms Lydia, Thank you Thank you, I have been waiting for that answer.
    I want to bring her home before they hatch, she is on day 26-27, what do you think?

Raenh, WVduckchick and DuckyDonna like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: