Domestic WATERFOWL law??? Dumped ducks on OSU Mirror lake

chooniecat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 2, 2009
central ohio
IMO need to be removed(I am willing to house them on my rural property) and NO ONE seems to know who to talk to about "permission" to remove. I am still waiting for response from Deputy Chief Morman of osu campus cops(he did re: with "I will look into this matter") but I won't hold my breath. Just curious if anyone knows of OHIO or local laws for dumping DOMESTIC waterfowl on public waters?(Columbus OH) I have watched these ducks suffer for decades(not the same ducks obviously-they never survive more than 18 months it seems). Have contacted ODNR, OWC, CAHS, newspapers and get no real help. The cops could help, I believe, but am , like said, waiting for response. Will become more aggressive after holidays and try to actually SPEAK with this guy. I still would like some LEGAL ammo..

First, what breeds are they? And are you sure they were dumped and not acquired either deliberately or by permission? Personally I would contact whoever is in charge of grounds and lake maintenance if I was looking for permission to take them.

Last edited:
I have tried and tried and tried and tried and tried.......no one wants to address it. These ARE domestic and have contacted Gordon Gees office(prez of osu) and they are NOT osu property. Its an appx. 1/2 acre-4' deep mess and I have watched these birds(domestics are ALL I am worried about) slowly cripple/die/disappear after appx. 18 months of living on this water. Currently 2 Muscovy parents(drake has angel wing) 2 muscovy juvies(2 others,1 with angel wing have disappeared) 1 Pekin drake and 1 Pekin crested girl. I know everyones way of thinking(oh-they look happy-WE like them-leave them alone) but, like said, I worked in vicinity(osu vet. groom) for 30 yrs. and just didn't have the balls to speak up as I watched the birds become lame etc. over the years and die/disappear(lots of coons,fox around). There is a "no feed" sign up and as usual, people bring mounds of bread. I also live 40 miles away so its not an easy task TRYING to get info. AGAIN-this is very urban, public and I have NO problem if they were fed domestic CORRECT food but then they would probably not die and would reproduce too much(so its a good theing they're disappearing/dying I guess??) No different, to m4e, than people dumping dogs/cats to breed. Gee's office contacted grounds maintenence. NO ONE has the guts to address this because they appear to be happy ducks(if you overlook the deformities occuring and I guess the publics OK as long as they're not there when coons get the dying ones) Its OK if mallards etc come around-ITS THE OTHERS thast break my heart. Have watched it for years and its not newsworthy enuf obviously.

Back
Top Bottom