1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Domesticated ducks dropped off in pond - what should I do?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Zinnia-Hen, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Zinnia-Hen

Zinnia-Hen Live & Let Live

Jan 29, 2011
    Not too far from where I live there's this one busy road with these little man-made rock ponds where a bunch of mallards like to settle. Well, today, when passing these ponds, I noticed two big white ducks in there with them; definitely not the wild critters I was used to seeing. I pulled over to check them out and found that they were both hens, one that I think's a Pekin cross with an interesting mix-match black bill and orange feet, and the other white with cream colored patches. They showed no obvious signs of illness and even though the weather's been really cold lately (so cold most of their pond was iced over), they seemed pretty robust, at least robust enough to harass the poor little mallards.

I don't really have any room to house these gals for the long run, but I can't just leave them out there like that either. What should I do?

2. TTracy

TTracy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2013
    Western Michigan
    You could ask around your area if anyone could take them. Maybe a local farmer? In the meantime you could stop by and feed them once a day.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would bring them in, I admit, keep them separate from my flock, and post on the rehoming thread and the duck thread, contact rescue groups and local veterinarians.

The cold and predators can be the end of them soon.

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    If you can take them in, then it would be good to do so. There might be a thread for your area in the Meetups section of BYC to help you connect with others in your area who can take them.

Female ducks who can't fly rarely survive the spring breeding season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by