dominance/aggression?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by WaddleWagon, Oct 3, 2016.

1. WaddleWagon

WaddleWagon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2016
    good afternoon,

I have noticed lately that both my male and female pekin will suddenly stand still, their head will shake a bit then theyll lunge their neck and chest a bit forward. Is this a dominance thing? They do not do it to each other, I have noticed them do this to my dog that never pays them any mind and to myself or my husband, no biting alongside with the action.
    What is the deal, I assumed it was dominance, should i be concerned at all.

Thanks
    stacy

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Unsure....mating ritual? :confused:

3. WaddleWagon

Jul 11, 2016
    Idk it's very odd to me thought I could try here.

4. dotknott

dotknott Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    Rhode Island
    My Coop
    Are they lunging their head over something if it's there? My boys started doing a little thing like this at about 15weeks and if my shoe was nearby they'd jut their head across my shoe.

With my boys it was dominance or mating ritual. I don't really know which though.

OH wait!

Is it like this?
    https://instagram.com/p/BI3cbhoBCNg/

5. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    My male did this at about 4 months old, just before he started mounting the female. He did it to my shoe. He tried it on the dog. He tried to jump up my back a few times. Horny teenager I guess. I think the shaking can mean several things but generally it happens when they're excited or anxious about something.

6. WaddleWagon

Jul 11, 2016
    its a bit similar to that video yes. They only do it to an item which was one time myself, husband and my dog. Maybe it is a mating, could that be? They are only a little over 3 mos now. Theyre very interesting to watch to say the least. both male and female are doing this though so thats why i figured maybe its a dominance thing. I guess as long as its nothing to worry about then its fine [​IMG]

7. Sfraker

Sfraker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2014
    Western NC
    The video is boys showing off and trying to court. If the duck shivers (like a Chihuahua) then strikes forward with their bill it can be a warning to leave them alone or that they are stressed.

8. WaddleWagon

Jul 11, 2016
    that makes sense. its usually when the dog is outside minding his business-- yet they follow him & taunt him around the yard. go figure, thanks for everyones help

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by