1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominance of wheaten ... (revived)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Htul, Sep 28, 2012.

1. Htul

Htul Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... (well, 19/5/09 over at The Coop,to be precise! ;) )
    A question that has troubled me slightly of late, but:

Seemingly wheaten marans X welsummer should fit the bill! :
    http://www.poultrymatters.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1306&start=20 (from a local Australian forum)

True, the adult plumage is only "co-dominant" (but then again, the authors of old always reported the same anyway), but the dominance is evident in chick-down, even in the absence of "restrictors" (though probably in the presence of phaeomelanin enhancers)

Cheers,
    htul

2. Henk69

Henk69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2008
    Groesbeek Netherlands
    OK, we will have to wait what it will become.

3. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    I have always known that eWh is dominant over e+ chick down(if not then they would be recessive wheaten) but one of my ER/eWh cross roo mated to a e+ hen and the only chick I got out of her(which died not long after hatching) looked e+... I may do that cross agai..

4. Poultriary

Poultriary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    OK, so I have crossed a Wheaten American Game Bantam (F) to a Silver Duckwing AGB (M) and the chicks are feathering out looking very Wheaten. They were yellow with dilute, thin, broken chipmunk pattern and are feathinger out with Wheaten wing feathers.

Is this a sign of dominant Wheaten or will regular Wheaten do this?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by