1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominance or friendliness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by daxigait, Nov 16, 2015.

1. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I am afraid that my one hens behavior may be dominance. If so what should I do? Georgie is one of my six month old Barred rocks likes to fly up onto my back/arm/shoulder if I kneel down to talk to her or her and others. What do you think? [​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That is normal behavior for hand tamed birds, not dominance. Dominance would be expressed by pecking and biting.

3. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    Good. I thought she was just coming to socialize and be curious since the first time I was building nest boxes. She came to check it out and that time she startled me since I was bent over driving a screw and she landed on my head. The next time I was sitting on the steps, she came over talked for a minute and flew up and landed on my arm.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They will usually go from acting terrified of people to suddenly friendly and curious around the time they start laying.

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I'd say it's borderline.....not aggressive dominance and not really 'friendly' rather more like 'too familiar' or 'looking for food'.
    I don't allow my birds to fly onto my body, or even jump...... could cause injury..... or poopy 'good' clothes. haha

6. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    She is Georgie because she is so curious. I don't really feed treats except occasionally a food item I set out or a handful of corn I toss out into the coop when I sing chicks in the coop chickens in the coop to bring them in before dusk if I am leaving and need them in from free ranging.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015
  7. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I have been reluctant to discourage her too much because except for the really young lavender Orpingtons she is one of only two that will come up to me.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Coming up to you to be picked up is different than flying at your head to land on your shoulder.
    I have 2 brahmas that like to be picked up, they used to fly onto my shoulder and back but I broke them of it by throwing them off my body,
    but they still walk up to me and I pick them up sometimes.

9. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    OK I guess it is like with young horses. You let them come up to you, but they are taught to leave space and you touch them. Also any attempt at nuzzling is strictly disciplined.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, exactly....true with any animal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by