Dominance or just jealous??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by vlselz, Nov 17, 2013.

1. vlselz

vlselz Out Of The Brooder

Dominance or Jealousy what do you think?? Here is my issue:

I have three hens hatched May 17, one is laying (started Friday, 2nd egg Sat) [​IMG] While chicks one BR (Dora) and the BO (chkn Little) loved being held I could cuddle them like babies The BO was the easiest to pick up and cuddle...the other BR (Keisha) only liked being held when SHE felt like it (I thought the dominant hen), otherwise if I was holding the others Keisha would jump up on my shoulders and crouch down and snuggle my neck ;) But if I tied to grab her to hold her NOPE not happening. Anyways all this new behavior stared with my smallest baby (bottom of the pecking order Dora) started squatting last week when I would go to pick her up. Chicken Little would give me an evil eye like "what R U doing?? When I put Dora down she(chicken Little) would run up to Dora & do the I'm bigger than u dance and head peck. I would then pick up Chicken little to show her I'm boss. Yesterday while the girls were out free ranging with me supervising (THANK G*D) one of my dogs a Rhodesian Ridge Back slid the back patio door open and almost ate Dora...I had to smack her with a branch to make her drop Dora...(luckily no blood or damage) Dora was so frantic I picked her up put her in my sweater and she put snuggled in so hard to me and started to fall asleep while I pet her, Chkn Little ran up to me and pecked my jeans while I was crouching down on my knees. I thought it was because she didn't like my new jeans (dark blue not the normal color I wear). Today I held Chkn Little then after wards held Dora and again Chkn Little came up to me and started pecking my legs...got hard too! I grabbed her beak as if to say STOP and even said NO and pushed her away. Is she just being the dominant hen (jealous) as if to say If I'm m not getting held NO one is? If so how can I stop this...she used to be the nicest I could run up grab her and loved it..

My 2 BR will squat when I go to pick them up (smallest Dora started laying Fri) Keisha the other BR coming to lay soon. My BO doesn't squat and her comb is not large....getting there she probably be last to lay. maybe closer to spring def. a hen tho. =) Thanks so much for any help and advice!!!

2. vlselz

[​IMG]Can ANYONE respond PLEEEAASSE ?? I trust you all on BYC and thats why I asked you so PLEASE someone respond[​IMG] instead of just reading my post! Thanks!!

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Your aggressive hen is not jealous, she just the boss hen. Another possibility: Are you sure the BO, Chicken LIttle, is a hen?

4. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Your hen is not jelouse just sorting out the pecking order but love above are your sure chicken little is a hen? The little dance could actually be courting.And pecking is a sign of curiosity or aggression in this case it's aggression instead of pushing and holding her beak simply peck her back pushing her may trigger her that your challenging her.Could we get some pictures of the chickens :)

5. imogene08

imogene08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2013
    Florida
    Jealous**

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I have twenty chickens. I know each one of their personalities extremely well. And yes, chickens are capable of being jealous. Chicken Little sounds like a jealous and domineering girl. But I bet you love her anyway.

7. vlselz

Thank thank thank YOU for the replies [​IMG]! Chicken little is in "my" fact a hen...although not laying yet, doesnt show cockerel feather/body charecteristics...at least yet and shes 6mo and the last hen I had turn cock had laready shown signs way by now, So, I believe she is a hen but I have been wrong b4. She loves me to peieces...follows me everywhere, is the first to come see me, first to grab snacks off floor, but the others are challenging her lately. (Keisha and her) go bouts which usually consist of Chkn little charging and pecking at the other hens neck and head (head honcho signs to me). The reason I peck back is b/c someone on someone elses post said it was helpful and could stop her. Ive tried grabbing (not hard) her beak while saying NO, holding her while other girls watched, ect...today she pecked again...although not as hard but it was when Keisha jumped up to greet me like she normally does. Chkn lttle ran up to me and pecked my back and leg
    Hope the pics help and thanks again!!!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Chicken Little looks to be "all hen". Nothing about her looks roo-like.

When a chicken bonds with you like Chicken Little has, she will often try to get your attention by pecking you on the back side. It means, "Please pick me up and hold me close!". It's really not aggression at all.

9. vlselz

Well Hello fellow Coloradan' thanks again for your reply! I kinda knew she was a she....totally a bossy women attitude, probably got it from someone close...[​IMG]. That's what I am hoping for (that its just attention) So do you think paying more attention to her will make her better or worse? This is my first time owning chickens and I want to do it right. If you tell me stop petting them and babying my hens "its best for them" I will sure as heck try my best to do that. [​IMG] <----- Ok total lie I can't stop, I'm addicted!! However, like I said I will try. Thanks again for the advice nice coming from someone closer to home =) Whereabouts in CO r u if you don't mind me asking

V

10. newbie32

newbie32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2013
    Low Desert, CA
    First of all- she is lovely! I love my Buffs very much!

Anyways-sounds like she is jealous to me! I have some that are not quite so friendly but my 2 alpha hens squabble sometimes. If one jumps on my lap the other will too. If one jumps on a chair the other does too. Basically they never let the other 'one up' them.

I am from Colorado!! Talked to my grandma today. She said you guys are expecting a big snow storm in. Stay safe!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by