Dominant behavior.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MommaDuck, Apr 5, 2012.

1. MommaDuck

MommaDuck Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2012
    Indiana
    My Pekins are 5 weeks old. Yesterday I brought them inside for a swim in the tub. We are planning on getting a kiddie pool soon. As they were swimming I noticed that Ming Ming kept putting his(I think he could be she though)neck over Daisy's. Once it looked like he tried to mount Daisy. I figure it is more a a domination thing. Also when do they start to quack? I have heard that you pick them up and the female quacks while the male sounds raspy. They both sounded raspy when I picked them up to take them to the tub. Although Ming Ming quiet down and Daisy will not while being held. As I took them back out side they were both much louder but not really a quack either.

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    My pekin "quacks " all the time. I am pretty confident she is a girl. She is now 4 1/2 weeks old and has be quacking since she was about 2 weeks old and VERY loud peeping at a day old. She has a very loud defined "Quack". Here is a video of her taking a bath in the tub, it was cold and muddy outside and she was filthy so I brought her in the clean up. In the tub with her is one of our Mallards.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  3. MommaDuck

Mar 20, 2012
    Indiana
    Mine sound nothing like that. They still chirp. A couple times I thought one was starting to quack, wasn't very loud, sounded kinda croaky.

4. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

I think she started to do the deep quack by 2 or 3 weeks old. Before that her quack well peep was really really loud. Some of the Mallards I have that are a week old have super loud peeps and a couple have quiet peeps, I'm crossing my fingers a couple are boys do to the low peeps.

5. MommaDuck

Mar 20, 2012
    Indiana
    anyone else?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Around three weeks of age some of my runners started, well, honking more than anything. It was a few more weeks before they all had that loud lusty ah AH ah ah!

And I think some of that breeding behavior is just for fun. The neck thing appears to be an invitation, from what I have seen. And I have seen a bunch of it. These girls are uninhibited.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by