Dominant genes? Egg colors, combs and muffs?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JustPeachy, Nov 11, 2011.

1. JustPeachy

JustPeachy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    Waynesboro, Ga
    I have a bantam EE hen that has a pea comb and muffs, she hasn't started laying yet so not sure what color her eggs are. I have been looking for a mate for her, I would prefer an EE or one of the other green/blue egg layers but havent found one locally yet. So I was wondering if I put her with one of my OEGB would I get offspring that look like EE's? Would they have the little muffs and green eggs? Anyone know where I can get a bantam roo that will help me to get the muffs and possibly green or blue eggs in the Augusta, Ga area?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Egg color(Green/Blue) is closely linked to the Pea comb, both are Dominant. so if you cross your EE hen and mated to a EOGB roo, if you get two types of hens, one with pea comb and the other with single com, you should keep the pea combed one if you want green eggs...

3. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:Egg color(Green/Blue) is closely linked to the Pea comb, both are Dominant. so if you cross your EE hen and mated to a EOGB roo, if you get two types of hens, one with pea comb and the other with single com, you should keep the pea combed one if you want green eggs...

Not necessarily. Many folks DO have single-comb green or blue eggers. And, it seems that there are more & more of them. Just sayin'.

4. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:the O gene and the P genes distance from one and the other is 4 CentiMorgans... BUT once gene cross over occurs(4% chances of that on each mating) the O gene is linked to the Single Comb gene(p+), it happens from time to time, and the Cream Legbars is an example of that..

5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:Do you know the bantam EE's parentage? It is likely her offspring will have light greenish blue eggs, but it depends on what she will be laying and what her parentage is. Laymans terms, the further you breed away from muffs, the less likely the muffs will show up in offspring. And, the further you breed away from blue egg genes, the more likely you will get a brown or cream colored egger. All depending what breed of roo you find to breed your EE hen to. Maybe you should search out a bantam Ameraucana or bantam Araucana to breed her to. Post something in the Wanted to buy section, and the Georgia thread, and even on the EE thread. Roos are infinitely easier to come by for next to no cost!

Good luck.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Quote:the O gene and the P genes distance from one and the other is 4 CentiMorgans... BUT once gene cross over occurs(4% chances of that on each mating) the O gene is linked to the Single Comb gene(p+), it happens from time to time, and the Cream Legbars is an example of that..

There are several breeds - another is the Isbar. Very interesting stuff, to be sure, genetics!

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:can you elaborate more on this?

8. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    Quote:can you elaborate more on this?

When you take an EE (let's assume an f1 in this case crossed from an Ameraucana to a brown egg laying Orpington) and cross back to another brown or cream egg laying breed (OEGB) you further suppress the blue egg gene. If the EE hen is an f2, already a cross from an f1 (use first example) to a brown or cream egger, she could lay a blue/green egg, but her offspring would most likely lay a brown or cream egg based on the OEGB being the father.

9. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
  10. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:if any hen from that cross hatch with a pea comb, that hen has about a 96% chances to lay greenish colored eggs, Now there is small percentage of that pea comb hen laying a brown egg but the odds are aginst it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by