Dominant Hen Crowing!? what do I do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 580farm, Aug 11, 2011.

1. 580farm

580farm New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    My three chickens are about 3 months old (Black Australorp, Rhode Island, Ameraucana). The head honcho (Radish, the Australorp) has taken a bit of a mean streak in the past two weeks (biting me, being aggressive), and last week she started this in the early morning:

It almost sounds like she's trying to imitate a rooster! It starts early in the morning, usually until I let them out, but I've heard her make this call during all hours of the day (except during the night) Is this normal for dominant hens? I'm certain she's a hen, you can tell in another video I made ().

I tried blocking the light from the coop too, to no avail. Is there anything I can do? I'd prefer not moving the coop too far away from the house to keep critters from harassing them, but I'm almost certain this is bugging the neighbors at this point. Please help!

2. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I am afraid she is a he. [​IMG]

3. 580farm

580farm New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

Image of her at 11 weeks...is it really so? Is she a he?

4. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:Umm yup. She is a He. [​IMG]

I just saw your video taken at 8 weeks old and he even had that big comb and wattles then. Plus he's already getting his saddle feathers. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  5. AZBootsie

AZBootsie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Congress, AZ
    My Coop
    saddle feathers are pointing down, hackles getting pointy...Roo

6. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    Right... saddle feathers. And it's a bummer because those black australorps are so dang pretty. [​IMG]

7. 580farm

580farm New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Ah boo! [​IMG] I bought them sexed form mypetchicken.com too...my guess is there's a significant margin of error there? (like 1 in 10?)

8. Theapplechicks

Theapplechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Quote:one of my sexed chics was a he too! Not always accurate! So sorry, she is a he!

9. m_shuman

m_shuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Springfield, GA
    That is definately a HE. My BA's are 17 weeks old and barely have a comb. Here is a picture of one of them I took yesterday.

[​IMG]

10. 580farm

580farm New Egg

Aug 11, 2011
    Thanks for your help, everyone! This is my first time raising chickens. In retrospect, I should've suspected earlier with the large comb, and when he leap fogged the hens in size. To Craigslist! Hopefully someone will be willing to trade, he's a bute. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by