1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominant Hen or Closet Roo?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeadHen, Mar 3, 2009.

1. HeadHen

HeadHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Houston, TX
    I have a couple hens that are acting weird. [​IMG]
    They climb up on top of another hen's back and it looks like they are mating? [​IMG] They bite down on the top of their head and hold them down while they do this. I now have several hens that have almost no feathers left on their head or on their backs at the base of their tails.
    I have seen 2 different hens do this. They don't have spurs, don't crow, and look just like the rest of the flock. Anyone have any advice what is going on here?

2. Ol'Biddy

Ol'Biddy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2008
    Southeast Oregon
    I'm pretty new to the chicken thing, but my alpha hen does the same thing. Since there are only 3 hens, I know she's laying eggs so obviously isn't a roo. So far she hasn't damaged the other 2, but she certainly has an identiy crisis. From what I've read here on BYC if there isn't a roo in the flock it's pretty common for the alpha hen to take over and some even start trying to crow.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't know how old your birds are, but I'd try to stop the behavior. I had some hens that were on top of some of my pullets pulling out feathers. Some squirts of water with the garden hose sent the hen running. I had to do it a few times but she isn't as bad. She is still a bully. Today she wanted a certain nest box and was trying to drive another hen out of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by