Dominant hen suddenly being bullied

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bigdogmom130, Feb 28, 2012.

1. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    My oldest and dominant hen, Shelly is suddenly being bullied. I have 9 hens in a very large ( 27 foot x 9 foot) run and a large coop. They are always fed, get treats, and lots of water. The 1 year old Barred rocks (2 of them) that I have are now bullying her. For the past 3 days, she hides in the coop or runs around the run and flies onto the outside roost to get away from them. I don't know what to do for her. She seems scared of everything now, which is not like her because she was always the one who went after any new hens first.

Any advice as to why this is happening? I am worrying about her. Thank you.

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    BR bullying someone? My BR is the biggest and friendliest in my flock.

As for your situation, I would say it is normal. Some youngblood is always looking to re-shuffle the pecking order.

In my flock whoever stops laying, evident in its appearance of shrinking crown and waddles (and no eggs), seems to drop in the order. When she resumes laying, she would have to fight her way back up the order.

3. bigdogmom130

bigdogmom130 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Glen Burnie
    Thank you for replying. Shelly is still laying, but what you said about the youngbloods makes sense. Dot ( the oldest of the 2 Barred Rocks) must have an agenda to be the head hen! she seems to be a little more aggressive than the other BR.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by