1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominant, Recessive, Mosaic, co-dominant, double rescessive...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FireTigeris, Dec 9, 2009.

1. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Ok- I give up... [​IMG]

I'm trying to figure out what will happen in a particular cross- [​IMG]

But cant seem to straighten out what traits are Mendelian or Modern.

I've found various post with some of these things listed, only to find a contradictory post later or some other post that confused things. [​IMG]

I've looked at the calculators but found them to not accurately describe the types of birds OR be to complicated to work out how to alter them for mutts.

I'd like a list please of what traits are:

Always Dominant (Mendelian)
    Always Recessive (Mendelian)

sex-controlled gene/sex-limited gene (Modern) (Spurs, large waddles/ combs ect (???))
    a gene that can be inherited by both genders but is usually expressed differently in males and females. /
    a gene that can be inherited by both genders but is usually expressed in only males or females.

incomplete penetrance(Modern) (like 'cold body' tips in utro for a Siamese cat)

incomplete penetrance
    the situation in which an allele is expressed only if certain factors are present in the environment.

co-dominant (Modern) - /I think most combs fit here?/
    the situation in which two different alleles for a trait are expressed unblended in the phenotype of heterozygous individuals. Neither allele is dominant or recessive, so that both appear in the phenotype or influence it. Type AB blood is an example. Such traits are said to be codominant.

intermediate expression -
    the situation in which a heterozygous genotype results in a phenotype that is intermediate between those resulting from the homozygous genotypes.

double recessive (Modern) (this is often only in colors, example 'cc'=no color in the edge of the feathers and 'bb'= no black in the feathers = ccbb="albino white" where Ccbb or ccBb would be laced or barred )- /where two different genes or loci must both have recessive to show/

----------

for lack of better traits:

skin color (black, yellow, white, olive?, slate?)
    feather color
    feather style (barred/ banded/ blank/ tipped)
    feather shape (hooked/ unhooked/ sheathed / powdered / naked)
    number of digits
    comb
    wattles
    beard
    false beard
    crest
    topknot
    muffs
    earlobe color
    body shape (long, short, heart)
    body size (bantam, intermediate, standard)
    eye color
    egg size
    egg color
    [​IMG]

2. tazcat70

tazcat70 I must be crazy!

[​IMG] Ummm what did you just ask for?

[​IMG] Hopefully someone who knows will see this.

3. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    What cross are you attempting?

Tim

4. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Hey SS Great links thanks for those- I must have been using sorry search term recently. [​IMG] http://www.edelras.nl/chickengenetics/mutations3.html is just about all of them.

taz- I'd like a list of what traits go where in my list... but from what I'm reading most feather color/pattern and similar traits are about three genes deep so its not as simple as I like. Kinda like human skin color IIRC has 4 genes controlling it.

TK- well 'attempting' isn't going to be the right word 'unavoidable' - we have a poor silky roo (unless he's in molt?!) and I have two sets of pullets, 2GLW and 2SLW - now the roo was dropped off on our doorstep in a little cardboard box and we are attached to him (Bennie) the chickens I got after securing a coop from CL - The guy was really nice and it took a while on both sides to get everything worked out.

I have thee people that want fertile eggs to replace pets that got killed by dogs or hawks or whatever- so laying/broodiness won't be an issue- also these people cannot keep roosters at all so I figure there's no real harm in allowing then to get some fertile eggs or day-olds from this cross.

However I'm curious to what I'll get from them.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5-toes on all males, 4-5 on females (inc. Dom)
    black skin all (gene Fm = This dominant gene is responsible for the dark flesh color of the Silkie fowl)
    medium light brown to brown eggs
    broodiness and laying
    feathered feet
    mostly or completely normal (hard) feathers in males, females showing silky traits - the males will get a hard feathered gene, the females will only get hookless gene.
    comb- well they (The Jets) should have pea combs can't tell yet, he has walnut/ Trifid comb. - expect trifid combs of both types.
    -Cant guess to color as I don't know if he is high white or recessive white, I think he has gold eyes tho-

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by