Dominent genes

abbey2140

Songster
11 Years
Feb 11, 2008
North Branch, MI
I really know NOTHING about the breeding for specific genes so on and so forth but I do have a pair of single comb Nankins and a pair of rosecomb. Which is the more dominant gene?

Is there by chance a "cheat sheet" for this kind of thing? I also have a serama that has a slight silky to his hackle feathers and I want it bred out but if it is the dominant gene then I dont want to breed him.

rose comb is dominant to single.

dont be fooled by the term dominant, it is easier to know you have bred out a dominant gene than a recessive. Once you can t see it anymore its gone

Silkie feathering is recessive. Sometimes oldwer, shredded feathers look a bit silkie, but I will say that I have seen some silkie crosses that have some silkie feathering. Since silkied seramas are resonably common, I would expect that you can find some that are crossed with non-silkied seramas. In either case, breed to a bird who has better traits in the areas that need improving.

The terms "dominant" and "recessive" are often misused. For a good intro, see http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm#basisEN

Back
Top Bottom