Dominent genes

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by abbey2140, Jul 6, 2010.

1. abbey2140

abbey2140 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2008
    North Branch, MI
    I really know NOTHING about the breeding for specific genes so on and so forth but I do have a pair of single comb Nankins and a pair of rosecomb. Which is the more dominant gene?

Is there by chance a "cheat sheet" for this kind of thing? I also have a serama that has a slight silky to his hackle feathers and I want it bred out but if it is the dominant gene then I dont want to breed him.

2. poultch

poultch Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    New Zealand
    rose comb is dominant to single.

dont be fooled by the term dominant, it is easier to know you have bred out a dominant gene than a recessive. Once you can t see it anymore its gone

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silkie feathering is recessive. Sometimes oldwer, shredded feathers look a bit silkie, but I will say that I have seen some silkie crosses that have some silkie feathering. Since silkied seramas are resonably common, I would expect that you can find some that are crossed with non-silkied seramas. In either case, breed to a bird who has better traits in the areas that need improving.

The terms "dominant" and "recessive" are often misused. For a good intro, see http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm#basisEN

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by