Dominick, Grey rocks, and Calf rocks

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mrs. K, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Many of you speak of the BO, RIR, EE breeds, but I just got some new chicks and was wondering if anyone has some comments on these. I was trying to get a bit of variety in my flock. And as I like to get them when summer has warmed up a bit. I don't get so much choice. I would have liked to get a welsumer.

Anyway, I have 1 Dominique (sp) 3 grey rocks, 3 Califonia rocks and 4 EE. They are all growing well. They will eventually join 3 stars and 2 bo.

MrsK

2. clothdiaperingmom

clothdiaperingmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    Sweetwater, TX
    Congrats on the new ones!!

I have a BO..shes pretty calm, mellow and curious, but doesnt like being touched much.

My RIR girl is very standoffish (as are my australorps) and the roo has just reached puberty and is getting attitude.

Im not sure about EEs, Calif rocks and if grey rocks are the same family as barred rocks then they should be docile, mellow, curious, gentle birds. My Barred Rocks are my fave of all.

The welsummers I had were standoffish too.

No exp with Dominiques. Had been told they are crazy so I never wanted one.

Good luck!

3. andythescot

andythescot Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2009
    Central Mass
    Oh Golly, I have two RIRs, two BOs, and two EEs.. In fact, when I am done writing this I need ta go lock 'em up for the night [​IMG]

But one of my BOs is very calm, but does not like being picked up very much and the other is as nervous as any standard white egg layer...
    One of my RIRs is very calm, and like the BO does not like being picked up, let alone near, and the other is very spastic, but not nervous.
    As for the EEs, both of them were bully's as chicks and now one is at the top of the pecking order, and the other is at the bottom.. The one on top is very friendly and the one on the bottom is just very awkward..

I didn't get any "standard" chickens.. But I love them none-the-less%2Pr

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by