Dominicker crossed with Barred Rock

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bigspringshatchery, Aug 17, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Has anyone crossed these? Would they still have the barred look but some chicks with the single comb and some with the rose like the dominicker?

2. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    If the Dom was homozygous Rose Comb, all the progeny would have a rose comb.

If the Dom was heterzygous for Rose comb the progeny would be 50% Rose, 50% single.

I believe breeders corss in Barred Rocks to Doms every once in awhile when they need to lower their COI.

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    What is COI ?

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    If you got your Barred Rock and Dominique from a breeder you should get offspring that feather faster than the Barred Rock and have more of a cuckoo pattern like the Dominique with a good percentage of them being Rose Comb and you might get a percentage that are smaller like the Dominique...

Now if your Barred Rock and Dominique from a hatchery then they will look much the way they do know but with 50% Rose Comb and 50% Single Comb..
    Most of the Barred Rock and Dominique you get from a hatchery have already been crossed...

Chris

5. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    COI= Coefficient of Inbreeding.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by