Dominicker or Barred Rock Roosters????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by swtsouthernmom2, Oct 4, 2013.

1. swtsouthernmom2

swtsouthernmom2 New Egg

Jul 25, 2013
    I bought these guys when they were 8 weeks old. The gentleman I bought them from said that they were Dominickers. But, as I am trying to sell some I was told they are Barred Rock! Help!! How can I be sure?
    [​IMG]

2. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like both maybe. The rear three are Rocks (single comb) but the two in the front could be Dominiques (rose comb).

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

The person you originally purchased from used a term, dominecker, as a catch-all word, meant to intentionally obfuscate the reality. The top three look like mixed birds that are barred, most like males of the Black Sex Link mix which appear somewhat as Barred Rocks but with lots of gold/red bleed through.

The photos on the bottom aren't clear enough, but I am seeing mixed birds, all of them.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2 All mixed birds, probably either mixed with Barred Rocks, Dominiques, or Black Sex-links.

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The back three are definitely Barred Rocks, as they have single combs, instead of the rose combs that a Dominique would have. The two in front look like mixes, as they don't seem to have either a rose comb or a single comb. They might have some Dominique in them, but aren't purebred.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think the three main birds in the pic are hatchery type barred rocks. They have straight combs, the breed Dominique has a rose comb.

Lots of older folks or folks from some regions call every barred bird a "dominecker". It's just an ignorance thing, they don't know actual breeds and it's how they identified birds.

Advertise them as barred roosters. It's not like they're high breeder quality anyway, so it really doesn't matter. What you see is what you get!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by