Dominique and silver laced Wyandotte pullet or roo

accdntlcntrygrl

Hatching
6 Years
Dec 20, 2013
I ordered 17 sexed chicks (16 pullets, 1 roo) from a hatchery. The roo I ordered is def a roo (a black jersey giant), but at least one of the pullets is a roo (Danish brown leghorn) and I'm questioning one of the Dominiques and the silver laced wyandottes.

Could you post a picture of the Dominique's comb? The coloring doesn't quite look light enough to be a male. For now, I'm thinking pullet.

The rather light coloring is a little rooster-ish. However, it is too young to tell for sure, and a comb photo would help.

Sorry, i tried to post several pics in my first post with no luck. Then tried to post a reply with pics-no luck. Then i got kicked off. Soooo, Ill try again. They were all born on Aug 26, 2014.
The Dominique in question is lighter, has shorter tail feathers, and what looks like a single comb instead of a rose comb, compared to the other Dominique.
The SLW, have similar rose combs and both are red, but their coloring is different and one is smaller, with more pronounced silver lacing, and smaller tail feathers at this point. (they are coming in later compared to the pullets, as with the Dominique in question, and the definite brown leghorn and black giant roos)

Questionable Dominique

Compared to other Dominique

smaller SLW with more pencilingyou can see it's tail here

this is the larger of the SLW
larger SLW running
)

Last edited:
I'm thinking that the "Dominique" is a pullet. However, it's not a Dominque. Judging by the single comb, you probably have a Barred Rock (if the legs are yellow) or Cuckoo Marans (if the legs are whitetish black). Your larger Silver Laced Wyandotte does have a rather red comb for the age, so I'm leaning towards cockerel.

I'm thinking that the "Dominique" is a pullet. However, it's not a Dominque. Judging by the single comb, you probably have a Barred Rock (if the legs are yellow) or Cuckoo Marans (if the legs are whitetish black). Your larger Silver Laced Wyandotte does have a rather red comb for the age, so I'm leaning towards cockerel.
x2

Thanks. I was thinking the questionable Dominique was a different breed but wasn't sure if coming from a hatchery it was just a genetic quirk from not breeding to a physical standard.
Both wyandottes have the same red comb so I'm hoping they are both pullets. They are so physically different though, I think one is not. I'm just not familiar with wyandottes at all. This is my second order of sexed pullets from this hatchery this summer that has had multiple roos. 1st order had only 77% pullets. I'm kind of disappointed

Back
Top Bottom