1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominique chick is half the size of others

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cstrass, Mar 26, 2017.

1. cstrass

cstrass New Egg

Mar 26, 2017
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    We have 4 Dominique chicks that are 5 weeks old. I know there is variation, but one of them is much smaller than the others. Her wings and feathers are different also--maybe because she is so far behind in her growth. She seems spunky, but she is so small--we named her Tiny. Should we try to feed her anything different to help her catch up? We have buffs, Wyandottes, and Australorps (2 of each) and all of them look gigantic next to Tiny.
    The photo on the left shows another Dominique, Tiny, and a Buff (l to r). In the photo on the right, Tiny is on the left and another Dominique is on the right. (Australorp is in the back.)
    Edited by cstrass - Today at 10:05 am

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    First guess was that Tiny is a bantam Dom. But, based on her feathering, if she is the same age, I'm thinking that she is a " failure to thrive chick."

3. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

I agree - runtiness is the classic symptom of a failure to thrive.

4. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    HTTP://www.nutridrench.com
    I don't believe in failure to thrive. I do believe in malabsorption syndrome .this happens when that chicks organs are more immature than they should be for the chicks age . what we can do to deal with that is to interdict the developmental timeline with nutrition which does not need to be digested. this is what nutri-drench does . it gives the chick nutrition it needs for energy, to help restore the immune system, to jumpstart the GI tract . to deal with pasty butt , the runs ,constipation ,travel stress.
    When a chick has malabsorption syndrome it's GI tract has a hard time up taking the helps the owner gives it. Nutri drench solves that problem. it main lines directly to the bloodstream. measureable there in 11 minutes, with 99% utilization ,and it's all natural.
    Does it always save a chick with malabsorption syndrome? no . but it's one of the very best treatments we have because of the way it metabolizes into the chick's system and the swiftness and completeness with which it gets nutrition and energy to that chick.
    Best,. Karen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by