1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominique chick size

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TriciaAnne, Jan 2, 2017.

1. TriciaAnne

TriciaAnne Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2015
    Spring Hill Florida
    [​IMG]

First time with chicks. Is this size difference normal for only being a week apart? I know the larger may be a boy. Thank you.

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Well, they look to be different ages...by a few weeks.
    Where did you get them?

3. TriciaAnne

Aug 9, 2015
    Spring Hill Florida
    Rural King in Spring Hill Florida. They told me they received all the chicks from the hatchery on the same day. But the size difference is huge! I have 2 Wellsummers that are smaller also and 3 EEs which are in between. All bought on the same day. I got the last little girl a week later. I have 6 Dominiques all together with most of them being larger.

4. TriciaAnne

Aug 9, 2015
    Spring Hill Florida
    I have an established flock but wanted to try chicks. It has definitely been an experience!

5. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Not sure.
    The smaller one could be a bantam......it's odd tho that it has those upper back feathers before any tail feathers....or a runt or something.
    But the feather growth of the 2 pictured shows at least a couple weeks difference in age.
    It wouldn't be the first time someone was 'mistaken' about a birds age.

1 person likes this.
  6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm betting the larger bird is older. Yep, they get all the birds on the same date, but they don't always sell out before the next shipment comes in. I've seen chicks a good 3 weeks older in tubs with 2 day old chicks.

7. TriciaAnne

Aug 9, 2015
    Spring Hill Florida
    Thanks all. They all seem to be coexisting well despite age/size differences so will just wait it out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by