Dominique chicken disease behavior.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jcgreck, Sep 5, 2010.

1. jcgreck

jcgreck New Egg

Sep 5, 2010
    Hi there, this is our first time here on this form, so many thanks in advance. We're first time chicken farmers with a collection of 8 Dominique chickens that are 21 days old today. We purchased them from a semi-local farmer, and we know that they weren't vaccinated against any diseases. One of them has stopped eating, drinking and being active. There seems to be no signs of outside injuries or other indicators of disease. Our friend’s kid gave him a ride around the house in a Tonka dump truck 2 days ago. He hasn't really been the same since. It was less than 5 minutes, and my wife is convinced that he is just "stressed out". We did just go from paper towels to pine shavings the day prior for their bedding. They’re on chick starter feed, have plenty of clean water and a heat lamp.
    Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Your wife could be right. There could be any number of causes, though. It is not unusual, unfortunately, to have a young chick die for no apparent reason. I'd just keep an eye on him and see what develops.

3. jcgreck

jcgreck New Egg

Sep 5, 2010
    OK, thanks for the info. Hopefully he can pull threw! Should I do anything for him or quarantine him?

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Personal choice, but I wouldn't; you don't know there is a disease and really have no reason like exposure to suspect something new. If there is a disease they have most likely all already been exposed anyway. Separating them always puts some stress on them, and they have already been stressed. In addition, being so young, they will be more susceptible to stress.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by