Dominique chicks - what to take guess at gender

Amy King Hanson

Chirping
Jan 20, 2016
Chautauqua New York
I received these cuties from Meyer Hatchery as part of LeAnn's Adopt Me.I'm guessing Dominiques because of the rose combs. I thought all barred breeds were easily sexed but by reading forums... I guess not. But would anyone like to take a guess?
[/IMG][/IMG]

I'm leaning towards all pullets because of leg color.

You will know without a doubt within a wk. Dominique roos will have more white in their feathers than the pullets and their combs pink up quickly. Pullet's leg color will be slate and males tend to be more yellow.
Here's a picture of mine when they were about 4 wks old I think. Left one is a pullet and right is the roo.

Another when they were just getting in feathers. You can see the white feathers coming in vs the 2 pullets darker feathers

I'm leaning towards all pullets because of leg color.

You will know without a doubt within a wk. Dominique roos will have more white in their feathers than the pullets and their combs pink up quickly. Pullet's leg color will be slate and males tend to be more yellow.
Here's a picture of mine when they were about 4 wks old I think. Left one is a pullet and right is the roo.

Another when they were just getting in feathers. You can see the white feathers coming in vs the 2 pullets darker feathers

Oooh! Thank you for the advice and the pictures!! I like you set up. I'll keep updating pictures.

The funny thing is, I started out with four Dominique chicks. With not being familiar with the breed, I looked at the combs and heads to try to determine gender. I have two away that had smaller combs. LOL! I guess only time will tell.

You'll love the Dominiques. They are a really great breed. Very curious about everything and are pretty hearty during the winter. Handle them everyday and they'll stay more calm for you as they get older.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom