Dominique (cock) over red sex link / comet (hen)

Provided there is absolute certainty of the parents invovled - you are essentially creating chicks from three breeds due to the hybridization involved in the hen - with chicks of such mixed breeding there will be a wide variance. If the parent birds in question are hatchery birds you have added possibility of further mixing of breeds/straying from breed standards which, again, increases the variety you will see in resulting chicks.

It would help to have pictures- the light colored chicks with black head spot could be read as either wheaten(red sex links are wheaten) or chicks with Co(columbian pattern- solid colored body, black on tail/neck) or dominant white with random black spot(s).

You are right to assume that all chicks should be barred if the roo was pure for barring.

However the red sex link also has dominant white(but not pure for it).

If a black or mostly black chick got the dominant white(DW) from the sex link hen, the chick will turn out white or mostly white, commonly with some black dots somewhere on the body.

Chicks that didn't get DW should come out looking like barred chicks. That would be the one black barred.

If the chicks feather out in Delaware or Delaware pattern with buff/red wash on body I'd say that's Co working on these.. not sure how that would happen from dominique roo unless he wasn't pure for the solid black with cuckoo pattern over it.

p.s. all male chicks from this would be Bb, the females would be B- as it's a sex linked gene. Any non-DW chicks without barring would be proof the roo was Bb.

Last edited:
If you will go back and study Gregory Mendel's charts for breeding and then cross breeding strains of pure tall and pure short pea vines, the reason for the uncertainty in the chicks you mentioned will leap out at you. Besides, as mentioned earlier you are dealing with not two separate pure bred strains but one pure strain and two crossed or impure strains who will produce only God knows what in some uncertain proportions when first bred together. Another way to look at this problem of heredity is to begin to understand how two humans can create a blue eyed baby if both of the parents have brown eyes. This is why I have often advised anyone interested in breeding chicken to any standard to first buy a sharp hatchet. Because your going to need one.

Thank you so much, @Kev! That actually makes sense to me and I can relay the explanation. I thought something from the cross with dominant white might be muddying up the waters (keeping things from showing true), and your explanation cements it. I appreciate you taking the time to type it all out : )
Thanks again!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom