Dominique Combs- Not always Rose

Chickenpet

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 31, 2013
I bought some Dominique chicks 4 weeks ago. Right away I could tell one had a single comb. So, I thought the breeder must have had a chicken or a rooster get in the wrong pen, and sent me a 'half-breed'. I knew they didn't raise Barred Rocks (Plymouth Rocks), so I wondered what it was mixed with. So, I finally emailed them a few days ago to let them know, because I thought maybe someone else who ordered Dominiques from them may have had the same problem. They emailed me back an told me that Dominique's actually could have 4 types of combs, but the most common is the rose comb, and all their Dominiques have rose combs. But, because it is in their genes it can on occasion come through and you will get a Dominique with a different comb. Well, if you search the internet, as I have done, all you can find is that Dominiques have rose-combs. Well finally I came across this article that gave some good information.

"While the Dominique had already declined in popularity, it was January 15,1871, that will be forever etched in the minds of Dominique enthusiasts. On that date, politics all but wiped out the Dominique when the individuals who met to formalize the Standard of Excellence, voted that Dominiques could only exist in the rose-comb variety. They did this despite the fact that the most popular fowl of the times were the Dominiques with single combs, which some believed to be the originals."
http://www.dominiquechicken.com/Status_of_the_Dominique.html

You can check out the rest of the article for yourself, but I thought this was interesting enough to post and that some of your others might agree.

Most production breeders will just sell you what hatches, whether its a good representation of the breed or not. For quantity, not quality.

Back
Top Bottom