Dominique cross with a welsummer

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by MommaSampson, Feb 20, 2013.

1. MommaSampson

MommaSampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    I had a Dominique cross rooster and my hen is a welsummer. All the chicks are black with lighter colored spots. Who do they take after?

dad
    [​IMG]
    Mom
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the babies

[​IMG]

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009

Thats an EASY one.. lets see the Rooster Carry Extended Black(E) allele. which is Dominant over the Welsummer´s e+(wildtype found on Red Jungle Fowl) so the chicks are E/e+ Black at hatch. now comes why of the headspot. well the rooster has dominant sex linked barring(Barred gene) and will pass this trait to ALL of his females and male chicks. so you dont have sexlinks so far. but all of your birds will be Barred when adults(some with poor barring)

3. MommaSampson

MommaSampson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2013
    West Virginia
    Thanks! Is there an article or something that I can read that tells me about genetics? The same rooster mated with my white leghorns and the chicks are yellow with black spots. so from what you said they'll be white with some barring?

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    you cant learn genetics in one article. BUT here is a good start..
    http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=35235#Post35235

as for Barred Roo over a White leghorn.. all of the chicks will turn out to be white. Why? first because they have a Extended black base chick down(thanks to dads extended black e allele) and second because dominant white will turn any black feathers(including chick down) into white.. Why do they have black spots? thats because dominant white is an incompletely dominant gene..

here a few heterozygous(one copy) of dominant white chicks.. the cross is a very simmilar one.

Barred Dad and White leghorn mother here is the source of the Info(so click on the link to learn more about such cross)
    [​IMG]

the hybrids are known as California Whites(California grey dad and white leghorn mother) http://www.cacklehatchery.com/califwhitepage.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by