dominique girl off - facial color, green poop, crop feels fine - help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hippychickenfarmer, Jan 10, 2010.

1. hippychickenfarmer

hippychickenfarmer New Egg

Dec 8, 2008
    i have a 5 1/2 month old dominique girly girl who has been feeling a bit off the past week. i first noticed her energy level slowing down but i thought maybe our quick onslaught of unusually cold weather might be cause. then i noticed her facial color looking a bit yellow/orangish and her tendency to squat in the next with feathers ruffed all day. her coop mates have been great, no extra pecking or abuse. in fact one of the girls seems to have been keeping watch over her. she is now inside the house today to see if a good dose of extra heat might do her good.

symptoms:
    yellow/orange colored face and comb
    losing weight
    green droppings
    allows me to pick her up quite easily though many of my chickens do - it is odd for her though
    i do not believe she is laying
    no sign of mites or lice
    no sign of worms in her droppings - are all types visible to the naked eye?
    crop is not enlarged

i thought maybe a vitamin deficiency and/or a calcuim deficiency, possibly eggbound so i have been treating her with b suppliment, calcium and olive oil in yogurt and have given her several doses of ky in the vent area. she has not passed an egg on my notice. she is hanging on but I worry as her color is not improving.
    i have been hand feeding her yogurt with olive oil
    she is also eating from a plate of scrambled eggs on her own as i type

her energy level is up and down - still i worry for her off color and for the green in her poo.

i'm praying she is not an internal layer but i wonder...

photos below

any help would be appreciated. thank you.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  2. hippychickenfarmer

Dec 8, 2008
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. hippychickenfarmer

Dec 8, 2008
    [​IMG]

4. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    according to Damerow's book "The Chicken Health Handbook"..
    florescent green , or blue green droppings is caused by moldy grain..

green droppings can also be caused by undiluted bile from the liver..especially if they don't eat enough.

hope that helps

5. hippychickenfarmer

Dec 8, 2008
    hello briarpatch - thanks

my girls eat only organic feed that i pick up on a weekly basis and it is milled locally so i very much doubt mold in feed as a possibility. she has had scratch recently but that too was purchased in the last week. the waterers are clean as a whistle. the coop is dry. maybe she got into something outside i don't know. the 19 other girls in the flock show no shared signs of poor health.

i'm going to keep feeding her yogurt, olive oil and scrambled eggs to see what happens.

i'm curious if i should continue giving her the b with vitamin k liquid and/or calcium????

6. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
  7. briarpatchfarms

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    I am guessing due to the yellow pigment its causes by the liver... sorry im an RT not a vet but can put 2 and 2 together...........Lymphoid Leukosis..... google that..its a liver diease and they do have green droppings weight loss etc..its a virus see what you think on this one

8. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Quote:I have a BR now ~ 8 to 9 months old that looks just like yours with the yellow color in her face and is exhibiting the same symtoms
    only mine appears to be going through a mini-molt as well. At times she appears normal. She eats very little, and spend most of the time hunched forward with the feather on her back puffed up.

I am not sure what to do either - maybe someone out there can help us?

9. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    Quote:No, you can't always see visible signs of worms. Have you ever wormed them? You could try worming her, but if you do make sure she is strong enough to handle it first. To tell you the truth, I'm not sure if that is what's wrong with her.

Hope your little dominique gets better, we love our dominiques. They are such spunky little ladies, ours rule the roost. [​IMG]

10. b'hamPeeps

b'hamPeeps Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm having a very similar problem too. I posted at https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3443917#p3443917

I read online here today though that chickens don't get jaundice like humans as a liver problem. So I don't know how to explain the yellowish tint. My hen is a SLW so her legs are bright yellow, but when she molted and her comb and wattles paled they were just pink. Now they are kind of peach or pale orange.

I'm really wondering how to get liquids down her. Also her crop wasn't totally empty this morning, it was very small but I could feel hard bits in it (like cracked corn bits) which she did eat yesterday morning.

I'll be watching this thread too, to see what advice you get.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by