Dominique hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sharebear29, Dec 24, 2012.

1. sharebear29

sharebear29 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    both of these are supposed to be dominique hens. However, when looking at them side by side the comb and tail feathers look a little different.

Could the back one be a rooster? Or......could it be partial Barred Rock?

Thank you.

Sharon

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

do you mean the chickens in you avatar?

3. sharebear29

Dec 31, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Sorry...I guess the pic might help.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Look like Hatchery Quality BR's. They don;t always have the right combs with hatchery birds. And I don't see hackle or saddle feathers on the one in back. I would say both girls.

5. salt and pepper

they both appear to be hens, but the one in the back looks like a barred rock. how old are they?

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  6. sharebear29

Dec 31, 2011
    I believe they're about a year. They should be old enough if they were roos it should be obvious. That's why I'm pretty sure they're hens...it's just strange they look different.

7. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    If one was a boy it would look like your avatar pic. I think they are both Rocks though, they have the red faces of Rocks. Like I stated before, Hatchery birds can have incorrect combs. One of my Production Reds has a Leghorns comb, huge and floppy. My other Red has the correct, shorter single comb that is straight up.

8. salt and pepper

at a year they are both hens, one is a barred rock, and one is a Dominique, that is why they look different.

9. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Ditto. The girl with the small rosecomb is a Dominique. The girl with the tall straight comb is a Barred Rock.

10. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    those are both hens. the one in front is a dom and the one in the back is a barred rock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by