Dominique nubby comb 3 weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jmtcmkb, Oct 14, 2011.

1. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Songster

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    So I bought a "dominique" from MPC and from what I understand as a total newbie She/He should have a"rose" comb. I read one particular thread here on BYC and the poster said if you can see/feel little numbs on the comb, it's not a rose comb... So my little dominique is almost 3 weeks old and I can clearly see her little comb its a single row of little nubs, is this normal?

I can see the final outcome in pictures of the different combs, but at this young stage what would a rose comb look like?

2. Prisserbabe

Prisserbabe Songster

Jul 8, 2011
    The chicken coop
    Wish i knew maybe a pic? I dont know [​IMG]

3. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Songster

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:yes been telling hubby I need to figure out how to post pics... will try tomorrow, thanks [​IMG]

4. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    My Dom's comb resembled a yellow shield at that age with a tiny nub at the back where the spike would grow later. As she matured, the shield went pink and thickened. It was textured a bit like rough sandpaper and you could see itty-bitty bumps all over it -- certainly not in a row.

5. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Songster

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:ok well this is def a row of little nubs and looks similar to all the other chicks ( BO, BA, Red Stars)...doesnt really matter I love her to pieces she is by far the friendliest little chick [​IMG]

6. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Songster

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2011
  7. hdowden

hdowden Crowing

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    this is a dom. comb side view though and of a roo but its just the same in a hen just a bit smaller [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

now if its straight with similar markings then you probley have a barred rock instead

8. mother o' chicks72

mother o' chicks72 Songster

Mar 21, 2011
    Portland, Oregon
    this is a dominique
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    this is a barred rock
    [​IMG]

9. debid

debid Crowing

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I know I've seen some Wyandotte chicks recently on this board and those are supposed to have rose combs as well (although lacking the spike nub, I think). You can probably find a good picture of an immature rose that way.

But if you're seeing a ridge with points on it, that's a straight comb.

10. chickenstew

chickenstew In the Brooder

May 28, 2011
    Dominique comb at 8 weeks
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by