Dominique Or Barred Rock????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by newchickens2009, Jun 15, 2010.

1. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    How do you tell the difference between a dominique hen and a barred rock hen? [​IMG]

2. chickenlittle32

chickenlittle32 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Rayne Louisiana
    1 of the obvious things are that dominiques have rose combs...and the Barred Rocks have single combs...

3. Thommiekins

Thommiekins Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Humboldt Co. CA
    The main thing I have noticed btwn my dominiques and barred rock besides the combs is that the dominique is white with black barring where the barred rock is black with white barring...does that makes sense?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  4. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:No Barring is the same no matter the breeds they are black with barring, the barring isnt really white, it is diluted black.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Technically Barred Rocks should have nice clean narrow barring, Single comb, slow feathering and overall bigger in size where a Dominique will have a wider more irregular barring (a somewhat cuckoo pattern), Rose comb, faster feathering and smaller in build than the Barred Rock.

Now with that said in hatchery stock there will be little to no difference between the two breeds other than the comb...

I also believe that both breeds would/should be a Black bird with White Barring.

Chris

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  6. Thommiekins

Thommiekins Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Humboldt Co. CA
    Hmmm...I'll take pics of my Doms and BR tomorrow and try to show you what I am talking about...it might not be the way it is, but it LOOKS that way [​IMG]

7. newchickens2009

newchickens2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2009
    BAHAMAS
    Thanks one and all for the replys. My Doms and Br are only 3 weeks old and they seem to all look alike right now. I am just curious has to what is what because I need more Br to cross with my R.i.r roo to get sex-links. The good thing is the eggs were all given to me so I can't complain for what I get, just hoping and praying for more Br [​IMG] but will be thankful for whatever God has given me.
    Thanks again and God bless!

Thommiekins,
    If you have time to take pics and can post them here for me I would greatly appreciate! Thank you! [​IMG]

8. bigdaddyabc

bigdaddyabc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Greer
    I have both breeds living together. Barred Rocks are "blacker" for lack of a better term while the Dominiques are "grayer" or a lighter shade at least. Also, the rocks have nearly no comb to speak of comparitively. The doms combs are quite a bit larger and redder. Come on over and I will introduce you. You could pick em out blindfolded after you see em together once.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by