1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominique or other

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by crooked stripe, Dec 14, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    What do you think. It is a 13 week old bantam and crowing aggressively. That settles what sex, but what breed? It looks by the picture the comb is separating.

[​IMG]

2. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I don't know much about Dominiques, but I'm pretty sure the comb is wrong for that. There are a lot of breeds that have a "cuckoo" color so it could be a lot of things. Hopefully someone here can tell from other characteristics.

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

California grey?

Whie legs, big comb, leghorn style body. But I thought cali greys and whites were all standards so....

4. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Barred Rock, I think...

5. silkiechicken

Barred rocks should have yellow legs and stalkier bodies though.

6. Ugly Cowboy

Ugly Cowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Corn, OK
    Quote:Well, thats true.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The body shape seems more like an OEGB in the barred pattern. Certainly, not a BR. And too narrow for a Cuckoo Marans, I'd think.

8. silkiechicken

Do marans come in bantam size?

9. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    Out of the 12, 6 have survived. I have one White Crested Black Polish for sure. The other 1 is this one, and the other 4 I am told by folks here are all OEGB'S. Meyer only offers a small variety of bantams and no one there seems to be able to answer my breed questions. I did buy 1 dozen assorted bantam hatching eggs so I guess they feel they should not be responsible for what breed they supply. In my opinion they should be able to answer the breed questions they are in the hatchery business. Other than this small problem They are great people and treat you well.

10. silkiechicken

Workers probably don't know much about chickens... like 95% of pet store workers who let people buy a 10 gallon fish tank and 5 feeder fish who get to 12-24 inches long and can live 20-30 years in a proper living establishment. Or how they sell common plecos for 3 dollars and don't tell anyone they grow two feet long and don't belong in small tanks. At least the hatchery had nice people!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by