Dominique or Partridge Rock egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by off-grid hen, Oct 6, 2011.

1. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    Hello all! I finally have many hens who have started laying, and I'm up to 6 eggs a day now. Yay! A few days ago, I got a darker than usual egg. Then yesterday we got another one. The egg in question is third from the left. The other brown eggs are dominique eggs, could the darker egg mean that one of my partridge rock hens is laying? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    Don't know that chicken breed. The one is question is the same as the GLW hen I have. Same shape and color.

3. off-grid hen

off-grid hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Upstate NY
    The egg is larger than the other new-to-laying dominique eggs. Someone has told me that a hen's eggs don't usually get darker, but possibly could. Would a partridge rock's first couple of eggs be bigger than my other pullet's eggs? or did my dom (who has been laying for 3 weeks) eggs get darker?

4. Schwartzfarmnc

Schwartzfarmnc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    West Jefferson
    I have 3 PR's and they do lay large eggs right off the bat, but mine where never really dark like that most I'd say are medium brown, but who knows, maybe a PR can lay the darker side of brown?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by