Dominique pullets not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HFC, Oct 29, 2007.

1. HFC

HFC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    Crosby, TX
    I have four Dominique pullets almost seven months old that haven't laid an egg yet. The RIR and Aracaunas they are with (older hens) lay just fine. Do they start laying later than other breeds or am I doing something wrong?

2. HFC

HFC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    Crosby, TX
    ttt

Anybody??

3. Wolfpacker

Wolfpacker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2007
    Raleigh
  4. HFC

HFC Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2007
    Crosby, TX
    Quote:Thanks, wolfpacker. That helps to know that I'm not alone. I'll just write it off to shorter days and hang on to them.

5. JFL1950

JFL1950 Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2007
    Jacksonville, Texas
    did you raise them or purchase them?
    I had two buff's that I was told were laying age but one started a month later the other two months later.

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    some breeds of chickens take longer to start laying.i bet yours will lay in a month or so.the shorter days does affect a hens laying.

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Some breeds do take longer than others to start laying. My Jerseys usually are about 6 months old before they start. Also, this is the time of year that most hens slow down or completely stop laying, due to molting and shorter days. Egg laying is stimulated by longer days causing hormonal changes in the hen. If you want your girls to lay, you could create a longer day for them by putting a light in their coop. They basically need 14 hrs. of "daylight" in order to be stimulated into laying. Some people put timers on the light to turn it on before dawn, then again for a few hours after dusk.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by