Dominique Question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kountrydoc, Jul 9, 2010.

1. kountrydoc

kountrydoc New Egg

Jul 24, 2009
    I have a small flock of Domiques (complete with rooster). They fall right smack into the middle of the breed guidlines as far as all my studying and reading tells me. Anyway, Our hatch this year came with some suprises. One of the chicks has black legs, and 3 of them have the single comb instead of the rose comb. I know according to what I have read that a single comb barred chick is not classified as a dominique. the rooster and all the hens that are laying are rose combed. I read that any single combed barred chicken is classified as a Barred Plymouth Rock. since I am working on building a breeding flock of dominiques, 1) Is this a normal occurrance, and 2) should I be worried about my breeding stock.
    I sure wish I could just go by the pre-1870's standards
    I will try to get some photos of these and add to this post as soon as possible.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2010
  2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What does pre-1870's have to do with anything? The American Dominique was a Rose comb breed from day one..

Chris

3. kountrydoc

kountrydoc New Egg

Jul 24, 2009
    According to my research, the Original Domiques breed contained both rose and single combed. In 1871 the New York Poultry Society decided that only rose combed Dominiques would be the breed standard. The single combed Dominiques were folded into the barred Plymouth Rock breed- a larger breed common in New England which were created by crossing large, single comb Dominiques with Java chickens. In 1874 the Dominique breed was officially admitted to the American Poultry Association's Standard of Perfection.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:The single comb Dominique or "Dom" is a crow wing colored Gamefowl type breed and that crow wing colored breed was used to create the Barred Plymouth Rock and the American Dominiques (rose combed).

*Note it was a crow wing colored breed and not a Barred plumage breed.*

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by