Dominique roo with pale comb can't lift head

lenmcc

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
1) What type of bird , age and weight (does the chicken seem or feel lighter or thinner than the others.)
Dominique cockerel, 7mo, healthy weight (last week at the fair he won best of breed, best of class, and best large fowl! he's my keeper!!)

2) What is the behavior, exactly.
I found him this evening roosted on a stack of pallets with his head dropping off and down, and he was struggling to keep his eyes open. His neck is completely limp. He can (kind of) get his legs under him to scoot backwards or push his tail up, but it's like his head is made of lead and can't lift it. He's doing a pecking/chattering against the bottom of his isolation crate.

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms?
<24hr

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms?
No.

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma.
His comb and waddle have some wounds. After being reintroduced to the flock after a week at the fair, he got beat up by the roosters I haven't yet culled. I thought that subsided. He was reintroduced 9 days ago. He doesn't appear to have lost weight.

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation.
I think either the comb/waddle wounds may have become infected (though they seemed superficial, and I don't see anything to indicate infection), or he's mentally broken down.

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all.
They always have fresh water and Purina Layena, although I don't know if other cockerels are blocking some birds access. In isolation I gave him 1tsp of cider vinegar in a bowl of water (and held his head to help him drink), a bowl of 30% game bird starter crumbles mixed with the Purina pellets, and a bowl of wet bread.

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc.
I've not yet seen a movement.

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far?
Isolated to a crate and covered in a blanket; cider vinegar water; wet bread; started spraying comb/waddle with Banixx.

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
I want to save him. He's my breeder, so I'm willing to pay more than is probably logical.

11) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.

12) Describe the housing/bedding in use

Freerange by day. Barn by night. Bedding is 60% straw, 39% alphalfa, 1% or less shredded paper. They have various places to roost, this one chose a pile of pallets about 3ft tall.

Thank you all in advance for your help! I'll keep digging, too!
-Len

Attachments

• Captured1.PNG
    Captured1.PNG
    3.9 MB · Views: 16
  • Captured2.PNG
    Captured2.PNG
    2.5 MB · Views: 16

Eggcessive

Addict
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
He may have wry neck (torticolis) from getting beaten up by others. Botulism can also cause a limber neck, but normally the feet, legs, and wings are usually paralyzed as well. I would offer him fluids to drink with electrolytes, and give him 400 IU of human vitamin E and crush a B complex tablet into a spoonful of water and give him 1/4 that daily for 2 weeks. Hopefully he will respond to that treatment, and I would keep him in a dog crate with food and water while he recuperates. Hand feed him watery chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food.

All4Eggz

๐•๐•–๐•ค๐•ฆ๐•ค + โ„‚๐•™๐•š๐•”๐•œ๐•–๐•Ÿ๐•ค = ๐“๐“ต๐“ต ๐“˜ ๐“๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ญ
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
So sorry to hear this.
Poor thing.

I hope the others could help :) โค๏ธ Good luck

lenmcc

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
He may have wry neck (torticolis) from getting beaten up by others. Botulism can also cause a limber neck, but normally the feet, legs, and wings are usually paralyzed as well. I would offer him fluids to drink with electrolytes, and give him 400 IU of human vitamin E and crush a B complex tablet into a spoonful of water and give him 1/4 that daily for 2 weeks. Hopefully he will respond to that treatment, and I would keep him in a dog crate with food and water while he recuperates. Hand feed him watery chicken feed, scrambled egg, tuna, or canned cat food.
You may have just saved his life... My wife talked to a vet (vet-admitted not a bird vet) and syringed him some sugar water per the vet. After handling him to do that my wife thought his neck was broken, but noted the rest of his body seems fine. At that point I'm thinking, unfortunately we might be having chicken tonight. BUT! Because of this reply I gave him another shot, and not only did he take some food and water, but he is more alert, color is coming back to his comb, and I detected a slight bit of muscle engagement in his neck. Last night it was a total limp noodle. ...It also makes more sense how I found him roosted. If he was injured in an attack, I wouldn't expect him to still be roosted.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

All4Eggz

๐•๐•–๐•ค๐•ฆ๐•ค + โ„‚๐•™๐•š๐•”๐•œ๐•–๐•Ÿ๐•ค = ๐“๐“ต๐“ต ๐“˜ ๐“๐“ฎ๐“ฎ๐“ญ
Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
You may have just saved his life... My wife talked to a vet (vet-admitted not a bird vet) and syringed him some sugar water per the vet. After handling him to do that my wife thought his neck was broken, but noted the rest of his body seems fine. At that point I'm thinking, unfortunately we might be having chicken tonight. BUT! Because of this reply I gave him another shot, and not only did he take some food and water, but he is more alert, color is coming back to his comb, and I detected a slight bit of muscle engagement in his neck. Last night it was a total limp noodle. ...It also makes more sense how I found him roosted. If he was injured in an attack, I wouldn't expect him to still be roosted.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Wow. I'm so happy to hear that :) โค๏ธ :yesss: :wee
Thanks to @Eggcessive, you have just saved yourself from the struggle of eating from your own flock!
I know this was not my problem, but I still want to thank Eggcessive for being so helpful.

Good luck and keep us updated :)

lenmcc

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2021
This afternoon I gave him some canned tuna cat food with Vit E, Selenium (increases uptake of Vit E), and Vit B complex mixed in, and syringed some of the same vitamin mix.

This evening I went to give him his next regimen and he was already picking his head up slightly! I gave him some more plain canned tuna cat food (I think he mostly was taking the gravy). I mixed some electrolytes with a bit of ACV and honey and tried syringing that to him, but he seemed to be neck-strong enough that I just lifted a bowl to him and he seemed to drink from that alright.

Then I put him down in the kennel and put the dry food in there and he stood and picked through it on his own for a bit! Then he preened himself a few times, laid down, and went right to sleep!

I think he's gonna be A-OK! Look how much color has come back! I'm so happy!

Attachments

• Captured3.PNG
    Captured3.PNG
    3.8 MB · Views: 9

All4Eggz

Apr 23, 2021
Massachusetts
This afternoon I gave him some canned tuna cat food with Vit E, Selenium (increases uptake of Vit E), and Vit B complex mixed in, and syringed some of the same vitamin mix.

This evening I went to give him his next regimen and he was already picking his head up slightly! I gave him some more plain canned tuna cat food (I think he mostly was taking the gravy). I mixed some electrolytes with a bit of ACV and honey and tried syringing that to him, but he seemed to be neck-strong enough that I just lifted a bowl to him and he seemed to drink from that alright.

Then I put him down in the kennel and put the dry food in there and he stood and picked through it on his own for a bit! Then he preened himself a few times, laid down, and went right to sleep!

I think he's gonna be A-OK! Look how much color has come back! I'm so happy!
Thanks for the update :)

I'm so happy for you - and the rooster! He's so pretty!

Top Bottom