1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Dominique Rooster question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by A roo or two, Oct 4, 2013.

1. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    I purchased two roos, that were suppose to be BRs, upon further examination neither are (or at least no pure). One of them looks to be a Dominique (? cross) and the other a barred cochin cross. I want to be able to keep the better of the two towards my hens, so one will have to go. Our flock is to small to hold onto both and we won't be getting any more hens any time soon.

My question is for those that have Doms or previous experience with them have you had any success with your roo being a good roo? I keep reading all these things about how nasty they are, comparing them to RIR roos and saying they are even know to be more aggressive than that.

I guess I am trying to decide if I should just rehome him now before I get attached to him or if he is going to be so nasty I won't want to give someone else my problem and he will end up headed to the pot in the future.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have close to thirty American Dominique roosters. Two are free-range currently. For most part they are not all that aggressive although that can change sometimes according to your management. Only problem I see is that when they go into heavy molt they can, but not usually, become aggressive. I ignore that and it subsides after a month or so. Like any chicken, they can learn through operant conditioning how to make you spill food by harassing you. Do not reward them with food when they are sassy.

Hybrids will not be as predictable although mine crossed with American games are extremely docile.

3. A roo or two

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Thanks. I guess I will just continue to monitor him and the other roo and just see who ends up being the better boy to the hens. If I post a picture of him would you be able to tell if he was likely mixed? He is about 7.5 weeks old.

4. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It depends upon the cross what can be discerned at 7.5 weeks. Show a picture from multiple angles including comb.

5. A roo or two

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    Here are a few pics I took yesterday. I looked it up, he is 7 weeks and 2 days (going by what I was told when I got him at two weeks). I am fairly certain he is a roo due to his behavior and his comb is turning pink and is really wide but of course I am no expert lol.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It is a pullet and looks either pure Dominique or a cross with something that is also black with sex-linked barring like Barred Plymouth Rock.

7. A roo or two

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    So it is a pullet? Really? Yay, then she will be able to stay. Her behavior towards my roo is pretty intense so I thought it was another roo. They were purchased together at 2 weeks and have a go at each other all the time. And it took FOREVER for her tail feathers to start growing in just like his did and all my hens had tails around 2 weeks, well puffs. They had bald butts compared to the others I know are girls (sex links).

Oh good grief, now I am questioning Quinn...roo?
    [​IMG]

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Looks male based on extent of light grey bars relative to dark bars which is consistent with double dose of sex-linked autosomal barring. Comb looks male-ish but that is not reliable indicator. Comb being wild-type (single) makes me think some kind of laying breed is involved, California grey maybe?

9. A roo or two

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida

Double dose of sex-linked autosomal barring? Meaning both breeds to make him were barred? Sorry I am new to all this :) well when I purchased these two I was hoping for at least one roo so hopefully he is one lol. Since I could tell they were little mixes I didn't go by the head dot since I wasn't sure about accuracy. But this particular one had a misshapen spot more line like than circle.

Thanks for your help :)

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The locus is located on the Z (male coding) chromosome. Male has two while female has only on copy of the locus. A male that is homozygous / has two copies of the barring allele looks lighter than a female or male with only one copy. Many breeds have the sex linked barring allele.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by