1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

dominique skin color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by centrarchid, Nov 15, 2010.

1. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Dominiques of old were noted for having white skin color that was later changed to yellow. Can I select of white skin without loosing the yellow leg coloration?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Can't get a yellow or willow leg without yellow skin. At least I do not know of any genes that would allow this.

3. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:What leg color then most consistent with white skin? Blue, grey, green, pink or white? I am not certain what dominique leg color was prior to introduction of Java for yellow legs. I want to select back to that pre-Java input.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:What leg color then most consistent with white skin? Blue, grey, green, pink or white? I am not certain what dominique leg color was prior to introduction of Java for yellow legs. I want to select back to that pre-Java input.

Green is willow, ad requires yellow skin.

Blue (slate), grey (slate), black, pink and white can all have white skin. None would have yellow skin. Exclude pink and white, and they could have black or slate skin. No idea about what the original dominiques had. Sorry [​IMG]

5. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri

Green is willow, ad requires yellow skin.

Blue (slate), grey (slate), black, pink and white can all have white skin. None would have yellow skin. Exclude pink and white, and they could have black or slate skin. No idea about what the original dominiques had. Sorry [​IMG]

Thanks very much! Why exclude pink and white?

6. Sonoran Silkies

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    If you inhibit dermal melanin in the legs, the skin colour shows. If you do not inhibit it, the legs have additional pigment added on top of the skin colour. You can make the legs darker; you cannot make them lighter.

edited to add: If they have one copy of the gene for black skin (Fm/fm+), the legs could look like a dusky pink or white, but still much darker than a bird whose skin has no copies of Fm (fm+/fm+).

Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  7. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:I will then select for and fix the slate leg coloration. What do bills of slate colored birds typically look like?

8. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    What is the phenotype of a bird whose skin has no copies of Fm (fm+/fm+).

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You're certainly free to do whatever you want with your birds but I'm curious. Why do you want to create Dominiques that lack some of the characteristics of Dominiques? Dominiques, in the first APA Standard, had yellow legs & therefore yellow skin are they not "Dominiques of old"?

10. centrarchid

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Quote:Two lines being worked on.

First very much like what is breed for show based entirely on dominiques as exist today. This first line is founded such that it is representative of breed, genetically, which is not good for show but very good for preservation. Otherwise not very exciting.

Second, derived from same group of hens used to found first, will be selected for performance in a free range setting using incomplete diets. The appearance of domininques during the 1820 - 1840 time frame changed, likely from inclusion of one or more Asian breeds, in part to promote yellow legs and skin. If I am correct, this predates any APA standard. I want a bird with strong foraging habits, much better flight capabilities, better cold tolerance and a distinctive look that favors the American dominique in some ways but very distinct in others. This second line will be called Missouri domininque and hopefully will not be confused with American version although recognition of linkage is desired. Leg coloration could be used to set apart at glance by novice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by