Dominique vs Barred Rock Chicks

Asmorilda

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2015
I'm new to this site & wondering if there is a way to tell day old to 1 week old Barred Rock chicks from day old Dominique chicks. I have the opportunity to buy some Dominique chicks & it just occurred to me that I don't know the difference in the chicks. I did some research but they still look the same to me with pretty much the same markings.

You should be able to see the points on the combs of any single combed chicks. Wear your glasses and look close.

You should be able to see the points on the combs of any single combed chicks. Wear your glasses and look close.

I will look for the points. I looked online at some of the hatcheries videos & I just couldn't tell a difference. The coloring & markings looks virtually the same & you couldn't get a good enough look at the combs to tell.

Basically at that age a Dominique should have a sort of a flat comb and a barred rock should have a slightly more upright comb with tiny serrations. Is the seller certain that the chicks are Dominiques?

Basically at that age a Dominique should have a sort of a flat comb and a barred rock should have a slightly more upright comb with tiny serrations. Is the seller certain that the chicks are Dominiques?

They are saying so but I want to be sure for myself. They are being bought for someone else who wants only Dominiques. I would hate to give them anything other than Dominique.

Back
Top Bottom